Connect with us

Global News

US welcomes Iran meeting, says ready for ‘mutual steps’

Published

on

The United States on Thursday welcomed a meeting announced by the European Union with Iran and said it was ready to take “mutual steps” to return to a nuclear deal.

“We obviously welcome this as a positive step,” State Department spokesman Ned Price told reporters.

The European Union announced virtual talks Friday of the nations that remain in the 2015 deal — Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and Iran — in anticipation of a US return.

President Joe Biden supports the agreement that was trashed by his predecessor Donald Trump but the new administration has insisted that Iran first return to full compliance.

“We are ready to pursue a return to compliance with our JCPOA commitments consistent with Iran also doing the same,” Price said, using the acronym for the deal’s formal name.

Also Read: 2021 Hajj: Intending pilgrims must take COVID-19 vaccine –Official

The United States is speaking to partners “about the best way to achieve this, including through a series of initial mutual steps,” Price said.

“We’ve been looking at options for doing so, including with indirect conversations through our European partners,” he said, with the Biden administration yet to meet directly with Tehran.

Iran wants the United States to end sanctions imposed by Trump before it rolls back measures away from full compliance that it took in protest.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Global News

Police Kills another Black man in Minneapolis, sparks fresh protest

Published

on

Fresh Protests broke out on Sunday night after a United State Police Operative, shot a young Black man by name Daunte Wright in the suburb of Minneapolis.

The incident is discovered to be happening in the region where a former police officer is currently on trial for the murder of George Floyd.

According to AFP, Hundreds of people gathered outside the police station in Brooklyn Center, northwest of Minneapolis, with the police, later firing teargas and flash bangs to disperse the crowd.

Around midnight local time (0500 GMT), the National Guard was on the scene, police had declared an illegal assembly, and the Brooklyn Center mayor said he would “be issuing a curfew order shortly”.

The mother of Daunte Wright, a 20-year-old Black man, told a crowd earlier Sunday evening that he called her to say he had been pulled over by police, local media reported.

READ MORE:

Katie Wright said she heard officers tell her son to put his phone down, and then one of the officers ended the call. Soon after, her son’s girlfriend told her he had been shot.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension confirmed to AFP it was “investigating an officer-involved shooting incident” in Brooklyn Center but declined to identify the victim.

According to a statement from the Brooklyn Center Police Department, officers pulled over a driver for a traffic violation. When they discovered he had an outstanding warrant, they tried to take him into custody.

He got back into his car, and one of the officers fired their weapon, striking the driver, who died at the scene.

A female passenger in the car suffered “non-life-threatening injuries” and was transported to a local hospital, said the statement, which did not identify the woman.

Photos from the protest showed men stomping on the windshield of a police cruiser. Police fired rubber bullets to try to disperse the protesters, according to the Star Tribune.

After about an hour, the police presence eased, and the crowd lit candles and wrote messages such as “Justice for Daunte Wright” in chalk on the street.

READ MORE:

Brooklyn Center mayor Mike Elliott called the shooting “tragic”.

“We are asking the protesters to continue to be peaceful and that peaceful protesters are not dealt with force,” he wrote on Twitter.

But clashes broke out again soon after as another group of several hundred protesters gathered outside the Brooklyn Center Police Headquarters and were met with teargas and flash bangs.

The shooting comes during the ongoing trial of former police officer Derek Chauvin, who is facing charges of manslaughter and murder over the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis last May.

Floyd’s killing sparked months of protests in the United States against racism and police brutality and attracted international outrage.

Continue Reading

Celebrity

Prince Philip’s funeral to take place April 17, says Buckingham Palace

Published

on

The funeral of Queen Elizabeth II’s husband, Prince Philip, will take place at St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle, on April 17, Buckingham Palace announced Saturday.

The ceremony at Windsor, west of London, which will be televised but have no public element because of coronavirus restrictions, will be preceded by a national minute’s silence.

Also Read: Wike bans meeting of Igbo group in Rivers

Royal officials said the 99-year-old Duke of Edinburgh’s grandson, Prince Harry, would attend, but his heavily pregnant wife, Meghan, had been advised against travelling from the United States on medical grounds.

Continue Reading

Global News

Prince Philip dies at the age of 99

Published

on

Prince Philip dies at the age of 99

The United Kingdom’s No. 1 Man, the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, has died at the age of 99.

This inormation was released the Buckingham Palace on Friday.

The statement reads,“It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh,” the palace said in a statement.

“His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle. Further announcements will be made in due course. The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss.”

READ MORE:

Prince Philip had spent four weeks in hospital earlier this year to receive treatment for an infection and also have a heart procedure, he returned to Windsor in early March.

He had been by the queen’s side throughout her 69-year reign, the longest in British history

“He has, quite simply, been my strength and stay all these years,” the queen said in a rare personal tribute to him made in a speech marking the pair’s 50th wedding anniversary in 1997.

Prince Philip’s last public appearance came last July at a military ceremony at Windsor Castle, the royal palace to the west of London where he and the monarch have resided during COVID-19 lockdowns.

In his life, he earned a reputation for a tough, no-nonsense attitude and a propensity for occasional bigotry.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he would be remembered “above all for his steadfast support for Her Majesty the Queen”.

“Not just as her consort, by her side, every day of her reign, but as her husband, her strength and stay of more than 70 years,” Johnson said in a televised address to the nation.

“And it is to Her Majesty, and her family, that our nation’s thoughts must turn today,” he added.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending