Press "Enter" to skip to content

Timely Intervention Of Imo Police Saves Another Havoc In Orlu

… Youths Bury Victim Of Police Brutality

… Family Of Endsars Protest Victim Searches For Corpse

For the timely intervention of Imo state police command in Okporo, Orlu Local Government, another havoc may have erupted at Orlu Local Government during the burial of late Ukachukwu Mbagwu who allegedly was shot dead by a police officer who the said Mbagwu refused to give usual bribe of fifty naira at the police checking point at the popular Banana junction, Amaifeke in Orlu.

The said victim, late Mbagwu who was shot dead few months ago was yesterday, third of November buried in his village, Abara Okporo amid agony both from the family and the youths who stormed the place in their numbers.

Our Reporter who covered the event reported that Imo state police command had moved to the bereaved family where they instructed them cancel the wake keep which the youths had organised ahead of the burial.

According to our investigation, police got hint of the reprisal attack by the youths  which would start from the night set aside for the wake keep till the next day being the burial date proper.

The youths according to our investigation planned to launch a reprisal attack on the security agencies particularly the police who according to them sent the innocent Boy to death without any justifiable reason and left the family into a perpetual agony.

Before the burial, the Traditional Ruler of the community, HRH, Eze Barr Ibenye Ugpala, had in a, security meeting held on monday November 2nd informed the Imo State Commissioner of police of need to beef up security in the area to avert the planned reprisal attack by the youths.

According to the Traditional Ruler who presented the security report of the place at the Imo state Council secretariat Owerri last monday, he condemned the alleged killing of his subject by the said police officer but insisted that if the plot by the youths was not nipped on the bud, that the planned reprisal attack may be more dangerous that what happened in Orlu during the recent ENDSARS protest.

However, with the intervention of the police, which stalled the planned wake keep, as well as the warning by the bereaved family that they were not interested and would not be a party to any act that would cause tension in Orlu in the course of the burial, the youths became demoralised, hence the plot did not materialise.

On the date of burial, as early as 7 am, the corpse had been carried from the mortuary and the youths in their usual way paraded the area with their motorcycles and the deceased was laid to rest.

In a related development, some of the families of the victims of the ENDSARS, have cried on the Government and the security Agencies to help them provide the dead bodies of those who allegedly lost their lives during the protest.

Speaking with Lead Newspapers, one Chief Emma Ebuzoeme, a native of Uzoubi Umuna in Orlu Local Government appealed with the security Agencies to help him provide the corpse of his brother who according to him was never part of the protest but died of a stray bullet allegedly shot by the security Agencies.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *