Connect with us

Leadership

State police, way out of banditry, insurgency, El-Rufai insists

Published

on

The Kaduna State Governor, Malam  Nasir El-Rufai on Thursday asked the nation’s security forces to take the war to the terrorists in forests that had been taken over by them.

El-Rufai also reiterated hiscall for the establishment of state police to tackle the spate of insecurity across the country.

The governor stated these at the Federal Government Town Hall Meeting on National Security which took place at the Kaduna State University on Thursday.

He said,  “These bandits have lost their right to life under our constitution and must be wiped out in their entirety. There is no other way to approach the current insurgency situation today as far as governmental action is concerned.”

On the state police, El-Rufai said  a situation where state bore most of the burden of the running costs of federal police was unacceptable.

El-Rufai  harped on the devolution of more  power and responsibilities to states.

Read Also: I want answers to how Richard Okorogheye died, says mother

He said, “Centralised policing in a federation is a contradiction. The state governments today bear most of the burden of the running costs of the federal police anyway, so why not the state police now. So I repeat my persistent call for state police as soon as possible.

“We should also devolve more responsibilities and duties to the states to enable greater accountability and minimise the habit of blaming the Federal Government for every ill in Nigeria. We should therefore expeditiously amend the Constitution to vest all on-shore minerals, including petroleum in the states now.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking News

[BREAKING] Arms fund probe: Finally, Army chief appears before Reps

Published

on


The Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Ibrahim Attahiru, is currently appearing before the House of Representatives’ Ad Hoc Committee on the Need to Review the Purchase, Use and Control of Arms, Ammunition and Related Hardware by Military, Paramilitary and Other Law Enforcement Agencies.

The committee had no less than two times invited Attahiru and Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Godwin Emefiele, to answer questions on the procurement of arms and ammunition.
On Friday, the committee, after a long wait, postponed the investigative hearing till Monday.

Read Also: Police Kills another Black man in Minneapolis, sparks fresh protest

Earlier on March 22, 2021, the committee had, after the failure by the CBN governor and the COAS to appear before it, summoned them to appear before on April 7, 2021.

Continue Reading

Leadership

Ramadan: Look out for moon Monday, Sultan tells Muslims

Published

on

The Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar III, has directed the Muslim Ummah to look out for the crescent (moon) of Ramadan 1442AH from Monday.

Abubakar gave the directive on Sunday in a statement issued by Prof. Sambo Junaidu, Chairman, Advisory Committee on Religious Affairs, Sultanate Council, Sokoto.

“This is to inform the Muslim Ummah that Monday, April 12, which is equivalent to the 29th day of Sha’aban 1442AH shall be the day to look for the new moon of Ramadan 1442AH.

“Muslim are, therefore, requested to start looking for the crescent moon on Monday and report its sighting to the nearest District or Village Head for onward communication to the Sultan,’’ the statement read.

Also Read: Real Madrid Win El Clasico, Go Top Of La Liga

The Sultan prayed Allah to assist Muslims in the discharge of their religious duty.

Junaidu gave telephone numbers that could be used directly to report the sighting of the new moon to the committee.

The numbers are 08037157100, 07067416900, 08066303077, 08036149757, 08035965322 and 08035945903.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar observed by Muslims worldwide as a month for fasting, prayer, reflection and assisting the needy.

Continue Reading

Celebrity

Prince Philip’s funeral to take place April 17, says Buckingham Palace

Published

on

The funeral of Queen Elizabeth II’s husband, Prince Philip, will take place at St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle, on April 17, Buckingham Palace announced Saturday.

The ceremony at Windsor, west of London, which will be televised but have no public element because of coronavirus restrictions, will be preceded by a national minute’s silence.

Also Read: Wike bans meeting of Igbo group in Rivers

Royal officials said the 99-year-old Duke of Edinburgh’s grandson, Prince Harry, would attend, but his heavily pregnant wife, Meghan, had been advised against travelling from the United States on medical grounds.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending