The countdown has begun for the Special Olympics – World Winter Games , a sporting event for people with Intellectual disabilities, is set to kick off in Kazan, Russia in a year.
Over 2,000 athletes from over 100 countries will compete in the Special Olympic games.
Kazan jumped in to host the games at the last minute after Sweden pulled out due to some financial constraints – a controversial decision given that Russia is currently serving a ban from all major sporting events.
Russia’s ban was reduced to two years in December from four by the Court of Arbitration for Sport after its anti-doping agency was declared non-compliant for manipulating laboratory data handed over to investigators in January 2019.
”As a country, we are ready for a bigger message on inclusion and as Special Olympics International is not a signatory of the World Anti Doping Code, therefore we were in a good place to come to Russia with the World Games,” Natalia Vodianova, an international Russian-born model and member of Special Olympics International Board of Director said in a interview.
“She also said that her younger sister Oksana was born with an intellectual disability. There is a lot of misunderstanding and a lot of miscommunication about the abilities of people with special needs.
Therefore, I hope that the Special Olympics World Games will bring more clarity and break some stigmas around possibilities and opportunities for people with special needs like my sister,” she stated.
Having hosted the World Aquatics Championships in 2015 and the FIFA World Cup three years afterwards, Kazan is not new to big events.
The Special Olympics which was Founded in 1968, is a global movement aimed at ending discrimination against people with intellectual disabilities.
It offers more than 30 Olympic-type sports and over 100,000 games and competitions every year.
Special Olympics Russia, which has been active for more than two decades, has 128 thousand athletes taking part in sports and competitions across the country.
This represents just 4% of the estimated three million people with intellectual disabilities in Russia, and Vodianova is hoping the Special Olympics winter games coming to the country will mean that more people can benefit from the initiative in the nearest future.
Six things you didn’t know about India COVID-19 variant
The India COVID-19 variant has been detected in Nigeria, leading to a call for concern.
The PUNCH had earlier reported that the COVID-19 was detected by the African Centre of Excellence for Genomics of Infectious Diseases in the Redeemers University, Ede, Osun State nearly three weeks ago.
As this detection has been communicated to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, here are six things you didn’t know about the India COVID-19 variant:
1. The Indian COVID-19 variant is officially known as B.1.617.
2. The variant was first detected in India in October 2020.
3.The variant has been classified by the World Health Organization as a “variant of global concern”.
4. Between January and March, the variant was detected in 220 out of 361 Covid samples from Maharashtra, a state in Western India.
5. Experts around the world believe that the variant is rapidly spreading and has an impact on the second wave of COVID-19 in India.
6. According to WHO, the variant has been discovered in 44 countries as it was detected in more than 4,500 samples that were uploaded from those countries.
[BREAKING] COVID-19: FG returns curfew, restriction on mass gatherings
The Federal Government has re-introduced a nationwide 12am to 4am curfew as part of efforts to curtail further spread of COVID-19.
The National Incident Manager, Mukhtar Mohammed, disclosed this at a press briefing of the Presidential Steering Committee on COVID-19 in Abuja.
Mohammed said the curfew would take effect from midnight on Monday, May 10.
He also said with effect from Tuesday, night clubs, gyms, and others would remain closed till further notice.
He said gatherings of religious groups and weddings among others have been reduced to 50 percent attendance, while official engagements, meetings, and conferences should continue to hold virtually.
Large Chinese rocket segment disintegrates over Indian Ocean
A large segment of a Chinese rocket re-entered the Earth’s atmosphere and disintegrated over the Indian Ocean on Sunday, the Chinese space agency said, following fevered speculation over where the 18-tonne object would come down.
Officials in Beijing had said there was little risk from the freefalling segment of the Long March-5B rocket, which had launched the first module of China’s new space station into Earth orbit on April 29.
But the US space agency NASA and some experts said China had behaved irresponsibly, as an uncontrolled re-entry of such a large object risked damage and casualties.
“After monitoring and analysis, at 10:24 (0224 GMT) on May 9, 2021, the last-stage wreckage of the Long March 5B Yao-2 launch vehicle has re-entered the atmosphere,” the China Manned Space Engineering Office said in a statement, providing coordinates for a point in the Indian Ocean near the Maldives.
It added that most of the segment disintegrated and was destroyed during descent.
The US military’s Space Command said the rocket “re-entered over the Arabian Peninsula at approximately 10:15 pm EDT on May 8 (0215 GMT Sunday)”.
“It is unknown if the debris impacted land or water.”
Monitoring service Space-Track, which uses US military data, said that the location in Saudi Arabia was where American systems last recorded it.
“Operators confirm that the rocket actually went into the Indian Ocean north of the Maldives,” it tweeted.
The segment’s descent matched expert predictions that any debris would have splashed down into the ocean, given that 70 per cent of the planet is covered by water.
Because it was an uncontrolled descent, there was widespread public interest and speculation about where the debris would land.
American and European space authorities were among those tracking the rocket and trying to predict its re-entry.
– Accusations of negligence –
Objects generate immense amounts of heat and friction when they enter the atmosphere, which can cause them to burn up and disintegrate. But larger ones such as the Long March-5B may not be destroyed entirely.
Their wreckage can land on the surface of the planet and may cause damage and casualties, though that risk is low.
Last year, debris from another Chinese Long March rocket fell on villages in the Ivory Coast, causing structural damage but no injuries or deaths.
That, and the one that came down Sunday, are tied for the fourth-biggest objects in history to undergo an uncontrolled re-entry, according to data from Harvard-based astronomer Jonathan McDowell.
The uncertainty and risks of such a re-entry sparked accusations that Beijing had behaved irresponsibly.
US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin suggested last week that China had been negligent, and NASA Administrator Bill Nelson echoed that after the re-entry on Sunday.
“Spacefaring nations must minimize the risks to people and property on Earth of re-entries of space objects and maximize transparency regarding those operations,” Nelson said in a statement.
“It is clear that China is failing to meet responsible standards regarding their space debris.”
– China’s space ambitions –
To avoid such scenarios, some experts have recommended a redesign of the Long March-5B rocket — which is not equipped for a controlled descent.
“An ocean reentry was always statistically the most likely,” McDowell tweeted.
“It appears China won its gamble (unless we get news of debris in the Maldives). But it was still reckless.”
Chinese authorities had downplayed the risk, however.
“The probability of causing harm to aviation activities or (on people and activities) on the ground is extremely low,” foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said Friday.
Beijing has poured billions of dollars into space exploration to boost its global stature and technological might.
The launch of the first module of its space station — by the Long March rocket that came down Sunday — was a milestone in its ambitious plan to establish a permanent human presence in space.
Insecurity: Hotel Business Dying In Imo, As Banks Go After Mgts Over Loans
Imo Security Challenges: Akajiugo Calls For Collective Fight
Shadow Government gives reasons for stopping Uzodinma’s criticisms
Kanu’s meeting with UN…detail emerges
Nigerians react over El-Rufai’s presidential ambition
Legalization of Indian hemp in Nigeria…Islamic group objects
ADC set to receive 20,000 decampees in Imo ahead of congress
House of Assembly enacts Law establishing security organization over insecurity
Uzodinma V. Philip Umeadi
Anex Azuzu of Nollywood is dead
FCMB demotes Adam Nuru, appoints Yemisi Edun as acting Managing Director
Breaking: Nigerian multi Billionaire Bolu Akin-Olugbade dies of COVID-19
Umeadi Vs Uzodinma: Imo PDP Develops Cold Feet Over Delay In Supreme Court
Ohanaeze Youth Accuses Okorocha, Ibe Of Inciting IPOB Against Organization
Celebrating The Irrepressible Chioma Ohakim
Imo APC Crisis: Uzodinma Finally Cages Out Okorocha
COVID-192 months ago
Avoid Nigeria if you can, US warns citizens
crimewatch2 months ago
Andrew Brown Jr: Another Black man killed in North Carolina
News2 months ago
Death of ESN leader…be ready for us IPOB tells Uzodimma
News2 months ago
Don’t succumb to cheap blackmail, MURIC to Pantami
Global News2 months ago
IPOB/MASSOB asylum: Offer meant to protect those who need it, UK replies Federal Govt
Imo Politics2 months ago
Ebube Agu not alternative to police, army, says Uzodinma
Entertainment2 months ago
South African rapper AKA breaks silence on fiancée’s death
Breaking News2 months ago
BREAKING: Five dead as gunmen set ablaze Imo police area command