Connect with us

News

Presidency kicks as Onnoghen links Buhari, Atiku electoral contest to removal as CJN

Published

on

A former Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen (retd.), on Friday, said the regime of the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), removed him as CJN before the 2019 general elections because the President was informed that the ex-Chief Justice had been in a meeting with former Vice President, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

Abubakar was the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party.

Onnoghen spoke in Abuja during the public presentation of a book titled ‘Fundamental Rights (Enforcement Procedure) Rules, 2009, Practice, Procedure, Forms and Precedents,’ written by Chief Ogwu James Onoja (SAN).

He said though the rumour was thick and spread fast, he decided not to react to it because he never travelled to Dubai or held any meeting with anyone, including Atiku.

The former CJN, however, said he was surprised that despite the fact that the Federal Government had all the machinery to investigate the allegation of the rumoured meeting with Atiku, it never did so, but opted to unlawfully go after him and his office.

Onnoghen said his trial at the Code of Conduct Tribunal was quickly arranged, even when he had not been invited or accused of any wrongdoing.

He added that the action of the government against him further worsened when, in the course of the trial and when parties had joined issues, an ex-parte application was suddenly brought in, followed by his “illegal and unlawful suspension” as the CJN.

The former CJN said, “Prior to my suspension, I was confronted with no allegation. There were rumours that I met with Atiku in Dubai. As I am talking here today, I have never met Atiku one-on-one in my life. As if that was not enough, I was also accused of setting free, high-profile criminals, whereas I ceased to be a High Court judge as far back as 1978.

Also Read: Onnoghen: Buhari Removed Me After The Rumors That I Met Atiku In Dubai

“In the Supreme Court, I did not sit alone. We sit in a panel. In all these rumours and outright accusations, I was not given opportunity to defend myself.

“Let me make it clear that the office of the CJN was not for Onnoghen but for all Nigerians who had sworn to guide and protect the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. To say the least, the period of my ordeal was the darkest era in the history of the Nigerian judiciary.

“As I have said repeatedly, judicial officers must be courageous. And I want to beg all serving judicial officers not to be discouraged by what happened to me at the hands of the executive arm of the government.

“Emerging Nigerian judges should not go the direction of injustice because without courageous judges and justice, Nigeria is doomed. Here, let me sound this note of warning that the appointment of judicial officers must never be allowed to be politicised, otherwise, democracy and democratic governance will be dead.

“During my tenure, the problem of Nigeria was not the Nigerian judiciary, but those who had no regard for the rule of law. We must therefore be committed to the rule of law and dispense justice without fear or favour. Truth stands; crush it, it will stand because it is truth.”

He said his ordeal in 2019 was not the first, adding that at a point during former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s administration, a commission was set up and that he was indicted of wrongdoing, even when he was not invited to defend himself.

Onnoghen, however, said because Obasanjo was a leader who listened to advice, the matter was referred to the National Judicial Council for review.

According to him, at the council, truth surfaced and it was upheld to resolve uncleared issues.

He urged Nigerians to stand by truth because only justice could rescue Nigeria.

However, a  Presidency official who did not want his name mentioned because he has not been authorised to speak on the matter said there was no truth in Onnogen’s claim on the reason behind his leaving office.

The source said the former CJN was duly charged and convicted.

He wondered if Onnoghen was indicting the same judicial system which he presided over.

The Presidency official said, “Recall that Onnoghen was charged before the Code of Conduct Tribunal.

“Recall also that evidence was presented. He contested the evidence and he lost, then he was convicted.

“So, what is he saying? Is he faulting the same judicial system which he presided over?

“As far as I know, his claim of a rumoured meeting with Atiku in Dubai was not part of the issue before the CCT. So, why change the narrative at this time?”

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, could not be reached on the telephone for comment as of the time of filing this report.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Anokam describes convertion of Government property as corruption

Published

on

Renowned Estate Surveyor and Valuer and Opinion leader, Chief Sam Anokam has decided as the height of corruption, acquiring government property and converting it to private use, arguing that the recovery of IBC property at Orji which the former governor, Rochas Okorocha had illegally converted to private use and the recovery of the Eastern Palm University, Ogboko by the present administration of Chief Hope Uzodinma were in order and evidence of strong political will to serve Imolites.

Chief Anokam made this observation on Monday, July 19, while interacting with newsmen in Owerri.

He maintained that on emerging the governor of the state, senator Hope Uzodinma had premised the focal point of his administration on Recovery, Rehabilitation and Reconstruction, stating that the government would have made a mockery of the 3R mantra if they had not recovered government property illegally converted to private use by Okorocha.

He regretted that former Governor Rochas Okorocha had engaged in reckless and uncontrolled grabbing of both public and private lands at will, saying that no sentiment must be allowed by the government with respect to how it affects the students and advised the former governor to relocate his schools and students to a property of his own.

Anokam said that Okorocha had deceived Imolites by giving them the impression that the Eastern Palm University was state government-owned and later converted it to himself and appointed a Vice Chancellor, commenced running its affairs without involving the state government.

The Estate Surveyor stressed that if Okorocha had used the IBC property to build a school or housing estate for Imo workers, it would have been better than using government land for private purpose without paying rent, especially when the agency of government that owns such land is still in existence.

On the relative restoration of security in the state, Chief Sam Anokam appreciated the state government, security organizations and all individuals who played one role or another to restore peace and order, observing that insecurity affects everybody and not caused by the government and must be a collective responsibility of all to ensure peace and order, without which, no meaningful development can take place.

He called on the government to continue to engage the people and various stakeholders in the society to ensure lasting peace in the state.

Anokam praised the state government for doing well in constructing durable roads and installing traffic lights at major junctions in Owerri metropolis which have made traffic easier in the capital city.

He called on Imolites to give Governor Uzodinma time, peace and cooperation as the governor has already displayed needed capacity to transform the state and put it on the wheels of progress.

Always Read; Coast clearer for Okorocha, others to dump APC as membership revalidation ends

Continue Reading

News

Coast clearer for Okorocha, others to dump APC as membership revalidation ends

Published

on

As the extension for the APC membership registration and revalidation exercise ended yesterday July 22, the fate of the former Governor of Imo State and Senator Representing Imo West in the Senate, Senator Rochas Okorocha as well as his supporters appears to hang on the balance.

This is even as the leadership of the party in the State had earlier warned against membership revalidation by proxy.

In a release signed by the Director General, New Media of the APC, Cajethan Duke and made available to Weekend Lead, the membership registration and revalidation exercise has ended.

Okorocha in the company of his supporters had few Weeks ago, stormed the National Secretariat of the APC Abuja where they tabled the problems of the party in Imo particularly ,the issue of membership revalidation which they said did not take place as supposed in Imo.

They at the said meeting demanded for a membership revalidation exercise in Imo which Dan Nwafor would oversea as the state Chairman.

However, few days after the said meeting, the National Leadership of the party extended the revalidation exercise in Imo as well as few other States.

Investigation by Lead shows that Okorocha and his loyalists did not take part in the last exercise, an act which may jeopardize their membership of the party.

Earlier, the State Caretaker Committee of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Imo State chapter, had reminded all interested persons both old members and intending applicants who are yet to revalidate their membership and or register, that the exercise which has been extended by the Caretaker/ Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee (CECPC) is still ongoing at the 27 local government headquarters across the state.

In line with guidelines as formulated by the CECPC, there was no room for revalidation or registration by proxy.

Every interested person must physically present him/herself before the officials with all the requisite particulars for revalidation/ registration.

The attention of the party was been drawn to cases where certain persons have tried albeit unfruitful to compromise the exercise through revalidation and registration by proxy.

The party hereby had informed all of the prohibition of registration through proxies and warns against any fragrant disregard to the laid down procedures, while calling on interested persons to take advantage of the extension to genuinely conclude their revalidation and or registration formalities.

Read Also; Reconciliation: Imo APC describes Rochas Okorocha as stumbling block

Continue Reading

News

Ihezuo hails Imo Gov. over traffic decongestion

Published

on

… Decries non adherence to traffic Rules

… Calls for training of drivers.

One of the APC chieftains in Imo and Orlu in particular, Dr. Ikenna Ihezuo has hailed Imo State Governor, Senator Hope Uzodinma for bringing into control, the traffic jam at various junctions in Owerri.

Uzodinma had upon assumption of office removed all the ancient Roundabouts out in place at various junctions in Owerri cities and replaced them with modern Traffic Lights which hitherto reduce to the barest minimum Traffic jam in the State.

In a press release signed by Ihezuo himself and made available to weekend Lead, Ihezuo, practicing Lawyer with many years standing expressed gratitude to the Governor for coming to the rescue of the Road Users by introducing the modern ways of curbing traffic jam in the State adding that the singular act has shown in no small measures that the Governor is indeed prepared to change the narrative of governance in Imo.

Ihezuo, an American trained Technocrat who decried the disobedience of some Drivers to Road signs and usages called on the State Government to constitute a Task Force whose duties would include to apprehend Road usage offenders who will after arresting them would take them to Psychiatric Hospitals to examine their state of minds and after which they would be compelled to pay penalty for the offenses committed.

Ihezuo who contested keenly the 2019 House of Representatives seat for Orlu, Orsu and Oru East Federal under the APC used the forum to commend the Governor on the areas of Roads which his administration has put in place called on Imo people to remain supportive of the present administration.

On the recent empowerment of fifteen Thousand Imo Youths by the present administration, Ihezuo gave a Thomb up to the Governor adding that with the said empowerment, Imo is on the fast lane development.

Ihezuo who charged the beneficiaries of the empowerment to make judicious use of the opportunity called on other Youths to remain supportive of the present administration which according to him has come to change the narratives of governance in Imo.

Also Read; Traffic Congestion: Lawyer drums support for Ihezuo’s remedy, appeals with Govt to consider proposal

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending