Fresh Protests broke out on Sunday night after a United State Police Operative, shot a young Black man by name Daunte Wright in the suburb of Minneapolis.
The incident is discovered to be happening in the region where a former police officer is currently on trial for the murder of George Floyd.
According to AFP, Hundreds of people gathered outside the police station in Brooklyn Center, northwest of Minneapolis, with the police, later firing teargas and flash bangs to disperse the crowd.
Around midnight local time (0500 GMT), the National Guard was on the scene, police had declared an illegal assembly, and the Brooklyn Center mayor said he would “be issuing a curfew order shortly”.
The mother of Daunte Wright, a 20-year-old Black man, told a crowd earlier Sunday evening that he called her to say he had been pulled over by police, local media reported.
Katie Wright said she heard officers tell her son to put his phone down, and then one of the officers ended the call. Soon after, her son’s girlfriend told her he had been shot.
The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension confirmed to AFP it was “investigating an officer-involved shooting incident” in Brooklyn Center but declined to identify the victim.
According to a statement from the Brooklyn Center Police Department, officers pulled over a driver for a traffic violation. When they discovered he had an outstanding warrant, they tried to take him into custody.
He got back into his car, and one of the officers fired their weapon, striking the driver, who died at the scene.
A female passenger in the car suffered “non-life-threatening injuries” and was transported to a local hospital, said the statement, which did not identify the woman.
Photos from the protest showed men stomping on the windshield of a police cruiser. Police fired rubber bullets to try to disperse the protesters, according to the Star Tribune.
After about an hour, the police presence eased, and the crowd lit candles and wrote messages such as “Justice for Daunte Wright” in chalk on the street.
Brooklyn Center mayor Mike Elliott called the shooting “tragic”.
“We are asking the protesters to continue to be peaceful and that peaceful protesters are not dealt with force,” he wrote on Twitter.
But clashes broke out again soon after as another group of several hundred protesters gathered outside the Brooklyn Center Police Headquarters and were met with teargas and flash bangs.
The shooting comes during the ongoing trial of former police officer Derek Chauvin, who is facing charges of manslaughter and murder over the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis last May.
Floyd’s killing sparked months of protests in the United States against racism and police brutality and attracted international outrage.
Okonjo-Iweala announces four WTO deputy DGs
Director-General of the World Trade Organisation, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, on Tuesday, announced the appointment of Angela Ellard of the United States, Anabel González of Costa Rica, Ambassador Jean-Marie Paugam of France and Ambassador Xiangchen Zhang of China as her four Deputy Directors-General.
This was contained in a statement titled, ‘DG Okonjo-Iweala announces her four Deputy Directors-General’.
“I am very pleased to announce the appointment of four new Deputy Directors-General at the WTO. It is the first time in the history of our Organisation that half of the DDGs are women. This underscores my commitment to strengthening our Organisation with talented leaders whilst at the same time achieving gender balance in senior positions. I look forward to welcoming them to the WTO,” said Okonjo-Iweala, a former Nigerian Finance Minister, who broke the 26-year record of the global institution to emerge the first African and female DG.
Ellard, international expert on trade and international economic policy, has a distinguished career of service working at the US Congress as Majority and Minority Chief Trade Counsel and Staff Director.
González, a renowned global expert on trade, investment and economic development, served as Minister of Foreign Trade of Costa Rica; as Director-General for International Trade Negotiations; as Director-General of the Costa Rican Investment Promotion Agency; and as Special Ambassador and Chief negotiator of the US-Central America-Dominican Republic Free Trade Agreement.
Also, Paugam has held senior management positions in the French Government on trade, most recently as Permanent Representative of France to the WTO. He has also held a number of senior positions in the French Ministry of Economy and Finance, including as a member of the Executive Committee of the French Treasury.
Zhang currently serves as Vice Minister in the Ministry of Commerce of China. He has long and extensive experience on WTO issues, international negotiations, and policy research. Ambassador Zhang served until recently as China’s Permanent Representative to the WTO and previously as Deputy Permanent Representative.
COVID-19 resurgence, threat to oil demand recovery – OPEC
The resurgence of the COVID-19 pandemic in many countries is posing a threat to economic and oil demand recovery, the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries has said.
It disclosed this at the 16th OPEC and non-OPEC ministerial meeting of the Declaration of Cooperation, which took place via teleconference on Tuesday.
In a document on some of the deliberations at the meeting, the organisation stated that participants highlighted the continuing recovery in the global economy, supported by unprecedented levels of monetary and fiscal support.
They noted that the recovery was expected to pick up in the second half of the year, but observed that the resurgence of COVID-19 across the globe could hamper economic and oil demand recovery.
OPEC said, “The ministerial meeting emphasised, however, that COVID-19 cases are rising in a number of countries, despite the ongoing vaccination campaigns, and that the resurgence could hamper the economic and oil demand recovery.”
The meeting also emphasised the ongoing positive contributions of the Declaration of Cooperation in supporting a rebalancing of the global oil market.
This, according to the organisation, was in line with the historic decisions taken at the 10th (Extraordinary) OPEC and non-OPEC Ministerial Meeting on April 12, 2020 to adjust downwards overall crude oil production, and subsequent decisions.
The meeting further reviewed the monthly report prepared by the Joint Ministerial Monitoring Committee, including the crude oil production data for March 2021.
Participants welcomed the positive performance of the participating countries, as they noted that overall conformity to the production adjustments was 115 per cent in March 2021, reinforcing the trend of high conformity by the nations.
OPEC said the meeting expressed its appreciation to the participating countries that performed beyond expectation in March 2021, with total over-conformed volumes of 1.23 million barrels per day.
It, however, noted that some participating countries had yet to achieve the minimum expectation of 100 per cent conformity and to compensate for overproduced volumes.
Close international airports, increase COVID-19 testing, experts tell FG
In a bid to avert the third wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, experts have advised the Federal Government to close international airports for two weeks and increase COVID-19 testing capacities.
The President, President Academy of Medicine Specialties of Nigeria, Prof. Oladapo Ashiru, in a statement on Tuesday said, the low-level transmission in the country was largely due to the lockdowns going on in Europe and some countries.
He said, “There is the urgent need to enforce the use of PTF regulations of social distancing, washing of hands, the use of hand sanitisers and the wearing of facemasks.
“In view of the current trends regarding the third wave, The Academy of Medicine Specialties and our Rapid-Response initiative group of the Academy of Medicine Specialties feel that we should close our international airports to all flights for at least two weeks. This third wave is affecting not only India but France, Germany and Italy. The Federal Government should be proactive.
“Nigeria cannot afford to have a third wave. Only a small percentage of the population have been vaccinated. Furthermore, all the theories speculated for our immunity such as heat, sun, and other endemic immunities also applies to India,” he said.
Also, a medical virologist at Adeleke University, Dr Oladipo Kolawole, in an interview with our correspondent said, Nigerians should be warned to adhere strictly to the non-pharmaceutical measures to prevent COVID-19.
“Everyone needs to be careful to avoid something like the third wave of Spanish influenza between 1918/19. However, testing has reduced, so we may not accurately picture what is going on. More COVID-19 tests should be carried out to understand the epidemiological trend to know the circulating variants in the country. International travels should be well monitored and coordinated, putting in mind countries affected by the third wave as it demands,” he said.
BREAKING: Cops repel attack on Imo police station, kill eight hoodlums
SS2 girl missing in Abuja school after permission to fix uniform
Siblings nabbed for Internet fraud, love scam
Prolonged cough could lead to tuberculosis, says expert
Bishop declares fasting, prayer after Mbaka supporters’ attack
Davido gifts daughter Imade SUV as birthday present
Manchester United, Villarreal in Europa League Final
26-year-old man arrested for cloning EFCC emails to defraud victims
Uzodinma V. Philip Umeadi
Anex Azuzu of Nollywood is dead
FCMB demotes Adam Nuru, appoints Yemisi Edun as acting Managing Director
Breaking: Nigerian multi Billionaire Bolu Akin-Olugbade dies of COVID-19
Ohanaeze Youth Accuses Okorocha, Ibe Of Inciting IPOB Against Organization
Umeadi Vs Uzodinma: Imo PDP Develops Cold Feet Over Delay In Supreme Court
Herdsmen attacks: Seyi Makinde seems to be paralysed by fear, says sports minister
Celebrating The Irrepressible Chioma Ohakim
Entertainment2 months ago
Netflix cracks down on password sharing
News2 months ago
Presidency kicks as Onnoghen links Buhari, Atiku electoral contest to removal as CJN
Health2 months ago
COVID-19: NCDC confirms 135 new infections
COVID-192 months ago
Fully-vaccinated people can gather indoors without masks -CDC
News2 months ago
Security startup Verkada suffer hack, exposes 150,000 security cameras
Leadership2 months ago
Buhari in the worst Nigeria president ever – Deji Adeyanju
News1 month ago
Akintoye rebukes Akeredolu for rejecting Yoruba nation
News1 month ago
Tinubu ignored Lagos, Oyo market victims but donated N50m to Katsina —Omokri