Connect with us

News

OutCry Trails Delay In Resumption Of Schools In Imo

Published

on

…As Proprietors Express Readiness To Resume

…Give Options For Covid-19 Test

What can best be described as a public outcry appears to have taken a center stage in Imo following Government ‘s indecision over the actual date for school’s resumption in Imo after  Osuagwu months of lockdown occasioned by covid -19 pandemic.

While some others have already resumed others have fixed dates for resumption, Imo state is yet to communicate it’s citizens particularly the students on a date for resumption.

While students were preparing to resume schools last Monday being September 21. The commissioner for Information in Imo, Declan Emelumba issued a release where he informed Imo people that the state Government had deferred the resumption of all schools in Imo.

According to Government’s spokesman, the reason for the said postponement was to enable the Government to conclude the ongoing community cOVID-19 test to ascertain the level of the dreaded disease in Imo with a view of finding a solution.

This release by the Government, however, generated dust in the state as people particularly parents began to query the rationale behind the testing which ought to have been done and concluded before now other states have resumed academics.

While parents were embittered with the development, private school proprietors have not seized to call on the state Government to see the need and urgency of resuming Imo schools along side other states.

Proprietors of schools in Imo have also informed the state Government of their readiness to resume schools with immediate effect.

Over the weekend, a non Governmental organization in Imo with the appellation, “Imo indigenes of good conscience accused the state Government of being nonchalant and indifferent to the yearning of students despite federal Government’s directives for immediate resumption of schools.

In an interview with the Commissioner for Education, Prof.B.T.O Ikegwuoha, he told lead, that schools in the state shall remain closed until government concludes with its ongoing person-to-person, house-to-house and community-to-community Covid-19 pandemic testing across the state, disclosing that after data is collected which according to him, would be rounded- off in next two weeks, they will now take a decision.

Meanwhile, the Imo State Chairman of the National Association of Proprietors of Private Schools, NAPPS, Chief Theophilus Mbakwe, in a release, noted, that the whole step and approach so far taken by the state government is far below expectations and standard. He said, that taking into consideration the whole scenario and taking proper account and critical analysis of the actions of the govt. so far on resumption, that it does not show sensitivity to the education sector. “It may sound reasonable the idea of the govt. insisting that there must be a comprehensive community test on COVID-19 before kicking off resumption but the area the government is missing it is not giving full details of how and when to round up with the exercise”.

Hon. Theo explained that as stakeholders in the field of education especially in the private sector, it seems not to be organized and well-articulated.In the first place, this would have been started as soon as the federal government stated that Schools are to start reopening from the 21st of September or even before now.

“The release reads, ” The habit of not being able to forecast well by the state government in issues that have to do with education has posed a lot of criticisms on most of their policies. I must have to speak out because it is high time we learn to do the right thing at the right time. The great educator says that that worth doing is worth doing well.I don’t want to believe the fact that it is because the public school’s teachers have not been paid for several months is why the educational system will be allowed to suffer or grumble down in the state. What happens to our allocation and all the rest if so be the case but I don’t think so. If that should be the reason the private schools are bound to play their complementary role which they are known for.   The letter from the government to us via the ministry of education is like a gimmick for it doesn’t have full details of the information that shows that Imolities are in line with other states in terms following the academic calendar. Therefore the ministry of health and education should go back and make their schedule clearer and give dates as quickly as possible before the whole situation goes out of hand”.

 It is now obvious that they are not considering the future of our children if there is no well-streamlined program for the test. Private schools have lost interest and hope in the whole thing. Most private schools and their households are now like orphans. Most proprietors are left behind on a lonely world. The govt should know that the only solution is to provide palliatives to all private schools if they are to continue with the test that does not have a schedule because our people are already down emotionally, psychologically, and physically. I suggest what am seeing that schools should be opened while the community test continues.

Hon. Chief Theo further said, “One may ask the basis for this my suggestion,. All the states that have announced their dates for resumption did not go for such a test. The just-concluded WASSCE in the state was successfully completed without a test. All churches where both the students, teachers, civil servants, political appointees, traders, and men of all walks of life gather for worship have been open for more than 2 to 3 months now with out community test, even banks and finally, the market places were all intermingled also were not subjected to such test before they started operation.  I want to bring to the state government attention once more that the exercise can still be going on while schools are in session.

They just shall live by faith. Let’s go by the popular preventive measures. I am proud today that the private schools (faith-based, corporate, individual and co-proprietors, etc)are more than 90 percent ready. Our level of preparedness is great.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking News

Boko Haram Releases Bride Abducted In Borno

Published

on

The bride, who was abducted along Maiduguri/Damaturu Highway, on Thursday, has been released.

She was kidnapped alongside her friends and some persons who were plying that route when the insurgents struck.

It gathered that the insurgents dropped the victims off at a village near Damaturu, Yobe State capital, around midnight.

It is not known yet if any ransom was paid.

Babagana Kashim, a family member of the victim, said that the bride and her friends are currently being treated at an undisclosed hospital in Damaturu.

Also Read: Bandits Return To Kagara, Shot Four Dead

“It is confirmed that they have been released. The insurgents dropped them off at a village close to Damaturu.

“As we speak, they are currently receiving medical attention in an undisclosed hospital in Damaturu. We are happy they are finally back home.” Babagana said.

The wedding held successfully in Maiduguri, Borno state capital, but the victims were kidnapped on their way to Damturu.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Freed Kagara Victims Now In Minna

Published

on

The kidnapped students and staff of Government Science College, Kagara, Niger, have arrived in Minna, the State capital.

A total of 27 students, three staff and 12 members of their family were abducted in the attack on the school.

In a video, the students were seen filing out from the bush. The footage was said to have been shot around Attahiru Secondary School, Madaka, Niger State.

Also Read: Bandits Return To Kagara, Shot Four Dead

Jibrin Usman, Public Relations Officer of the Ministry of Education in Niger, said the commissioner has been contacted to receive the boys ahead of their meeting with the governor.

One of the parents of the students told our correspondent that they were released near Madaka in Raffi Local government area of Niger.

The father said he would withdraw his child from the school immediately, describing that as the only reasonable thing to do as a concerned father.

`

Continue Reading

crimewatch

‘Your Words Mean Nothing’ – Aisha Yesufu Slams Buhari

Published

on

Aisha Yesufu, a human rights activist, says the words of President Muhammadu Buhari “mean nothing”.

Reacting to the abduction of the students of Government Girls Secondary School, Jangebe, Zamfara State, Yesufu said the primary responsibility of government is to protect lives.

In a strongly worded statement on Friday night, Buhari had warned bandits that he would not fall for threats and blackmail.

He had also said that his government had the capacity to deal with them but has not taken drastic action to prevent a situation where captives are used as shields.

Yesufu said Nigerians are used to a president “whose words are meaningless”.

“What I make of the statement is absolutely nothing. We are used to a president whose words mean nothing. He says one thing, and another thing happens.”

Also Read: Tiger Wood’s Car-Crash Injuries Cast Doubt On Future

“The body language of President Muhammadu Buhari enables the terrorists. They know that we have an ineffective President and Commander-In-Chief, we have an incompetent one a clueless one, who does not even bother about what is happening in the nation.

“Yesterday we buried seven military officers, the best that we have, the nation was in mourning and the President was a few minutes away from the location of the burial and didn’t even turn up, what does that signify? It Is high time we began to make serious demands on the president.

“It is not in our place to give the way forward. His salaries are being paid for it; his needs are being taken care of. He was voted to give the way forward,” she said.

Yesufu was a strong member of the #Bring Back Our Girls Movement, which was on the frontline of the campaign for the release of students abducted from Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State, in 2014.

Up till dates, some of the students are still in captivity.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending