Connect with us

crimewatch

Obama’s ex-secretary admits hiding cheque received from Lebanese-Nigerian billionaire

Published

on

The United State Justice Department said a former transportation secretary, accepted a $50,000 cheque that he “understood at the time” came from Lebanese-Nigerian billionaire, one Gilbert Chagoury, but failed to disclosed it as required on two government ethics forms.

Wednesday that Ray LaHood, when he was US transportation secretary, accepted a $50,000 cheque that he “understood at the time” came from Lebanese-Nigerian billionaire Gilbert Chagoury, purposefully failed to disclose the “loan” as required on two government ethics forms, then

The department also said LaHood “made misleading statements to FBI agents investigating Chagoury about the check and its source”.

The Republican former congressman from Illinois, who served in former US President, Barack Obama’s cabinet from 2009 to 2013, initially denied receiving the loan in a 2017 interview with the FBI, according to a report by Politico.

But he acknowledged receiving the payment when agents showed him a copy of the cheque, theweek.com said.

Read Also: Dad’s friend raped me, filmed the act – Victim

Under a December 2019 non-prosecution agreement, it said the Justice Department disclosed on Wednesday that LaHood agreed to pay back the $50,000 he got in June 2012, pay a $40,000 fine and cooperate with the government’s investigation of Chagoury.

On Thursday, it quoted the department as saying the Lebanese-Nigerian billionaire had agreed to pay $1.8m to avoid prosecution over $180,000 in illegal campaign contributions he channelled to US politicians through one Toufic Baaklini, an associate in Virginia.

It further quoted the Politico as saying Chagoury gained notoriety for donating to the Clinton Foundation, though all the payments though Baaklini appeared to have gone to Republicans, including $100,000 to Senator Mitt Romney’s 2012 presidential campaign, Politico reports.

It said Baaklini wrote the personal cheque to LaHood, though the Justice Department said it was a “separate and unrelated matter” from the campaign finance violations.

It also reported that in 2015, Baaklini chipped in $2,700 to the campaign of LaHood’s son, Darin, who now holds his father’s old seat in the US Congress.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

crimewatch

BREAKING: Cops repel attack on Imo police station, kill eight hoodlums

Published

on

Joint security operatives on Thursday night killed no fewer than eight hoodlums after they resisted an attack on Orlu Divisional Police Headquarters in Imo state from unknown gunmen.

Also, the joint security operatives recovered seven vehicles the attackers came in for the operation.

Our correspondent gathered that the gun battle between the gunmen and the security operatives lasted several hours, as the military sent reinforcement from the 34 artillery brigade, Obinze, in Owerri.

The gun duel created an atmosphere of panic, as people scampered for safety, as the Roads in Orlu town and its environs were deserted.

A resident of the area who preferred not to be mentioned told our correspondent that “we slept with our hearts in our hands last night”.

He said an Amoured Personnel Carrier was allegedly set ablaze at Umuna junction in Orlu town.

Read Also: Prolonged cough could lead to tuberculosis, says expert

He also disclosed that one of his cousins was hit by a stray bullet.

The Police Spokesperson in the state, Orlando Ikeokwu, could not be reached but a senior police officer confirmed the development to our correspondent.

The senior police officer told The PUNCH that the corpses of the hoodlums and their vehicles had been brought to the state police command headquarters in Owerri.

He disclosed that the police divisional headquarters was not razed neither did any security officer killed in the attack.

Continue Reading

crimewatch

Siblings nabbed for Internet fraud, love scam

Published

on

Operatives of the Lagos Zonal Office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission have arrested two siblings for their alleged involvement in Internet fraud.

The suspects, Queen and Rowland Kalu, were arrested on Wednesday, May 5, 2021, at the Amikanle, Alagbado area of Lagos State.

The EFCC, in a statement on Thursday, said Queen, a graduate of Banking and Finance, confessed to the crime, adding that she was involved in online dating and made money from the crime.

She also allegedly disclosed that she helped her brothers, including one Prince Kalu, now at large, to speak to male victims and defraud them of their money.

The agency said a Mercedes Benz and mobile devices were recovered from the suspects.

In a related development, the agency said it arrested eight suspected Internet fraudsters in Abuja.

Read Also: Prolonged cough could lead to tuberculosis, says expert

The suspects, aged between 18 and 29, were apprehended at Jabi, Abuja, in the early hours of Thursday, May 6, 2021.

They were identified as Emmanuel Anyeba, Precious Samuel, Mujib Ariyo, Micheal Ogaba, Mathew Ibeh, Jamiu Ariyo, Precious Kalu and Isaac Sunday.

“Investigation indicates that the suspects operated an academy for training Internet fraudsters from their hideout. Items recovered from them included eight mobile phones. All the suspects will soon be charged to court,” the statement said.

Continue Reading

crimewatch

26-year-old man arrested for cloning EFCC emails to defraud victims

Published

on

Twenty-six-year-old Udochukwu Simeon has been arrested for allegedly cloning the email addresses of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and using the same to defraud unsuspecting members of the public.

According to the EFCC, the suspect created an Outlook email account of the anti-graft agency, efccnigeria.org.ng@outlook.com and webmail, info@efcc-nigeria.org.ng, which he used to impersonate the commission.

Also Read: El-Rufai receives 27 freed Kaduna college students, two missing

The Head of Media and Publicity of the agency, Wilson Uwujaren, in a statement on Wednesday, said an investigation by the cybercrime unit of the commission indicated that the suspect also used the two fake e-mail accounts to send messages to his victims, while posing as an officer of the commission trying to help the victims recover their stolen funds.

He added that Simeon, before his arrest, had received over $3,000 from some of his victims.

Uwujaren, who noted that Simeon’s activities amount to forgery, identity theft, impersonation and cyber-squatting, said he would be charged upon the completion of investigation.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending