Niger State government has ordered the closure of all public secondary schools in the state for two weeks.
This decision was reached after an interface between the state government and officials from various security agencies.
The state’s Commissioner for Education, Hajiya Hannatu Jibrin Salihu, said the schools will, however, be closed from Friday, March 12th to Friday, March 26th, 2021.
Though 22 secondary schools (11 Day and 11 Boarding Schools) had earlier been closed, Salihu said the two weeks closure of all secondary schools was necessary to give relevant security agencies the time and opportunity to conduct a comprehensive risk assessment.
The exercise, when completed, will provide an all-inclusive mechanism and strategies that will restore and guarantee sustainable security and safety of students, school infrastructure, education managers and teachers in the State, she added.
While commending education actors, parents and communities for their patience, understanding and support, she reiterated the government’s commitment to leave no stone unturned and ensure that all schools are safe for effective teaching and learning.
Niger State is gradually becoming a hotspot for bandits and schools are the main target.
27 students, three staff and 12 members of their families were abducted from a school in Kagara in February.
The school has a population of over 1,000 students.
One of the students, Benjamin Doma, was gunned down while trying to escape.
The abductors reportedly left him behind in the pool of his blood as they shepherded the students and teachers into the bush.
In the aftermath of the abduction, Governor Bello ordered the immediate closure of all the boarding schools in four local government areas of Niger.
The local government areas are Rafi, Munya, Mariga and Shiroro.
Troops stop attacks on muslims breaking ramadan fast in Borno
Nigerian troops have resisted multiple terrorist attacks targeted at soldiers and Muslim faithful while breaking the Ramadan fast at Gajiram and Damasak towns in Borno State.
During the counter-terrorism operation on Tuesday night, effective close air support was provided by the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) aircraft to the ground troops at Damasak and Gajiram after they came under fire by ISWAP/Boko Haram terrorists.
According to a military intelligence disclosed to PRNigeria that the terrorists were on a reprisal mission to avenge the loss of their 13 top commanders, who were killed by troops in the Lake Chad axis last week.
“The terrorists deliberately targeted their reprisal on troops and residents of the two towns in the evening at the time Muslim faithful were about to break their fast on the first day of this year’s Ramadan.
“They were angry over the recent deadly strikes conducted in Tudun Wulgo, Zari, Tumbun Alhaji, Kusuma, Sigir in Ngala and Arijallamari, in Abadam, Marte and Ngala local government areas, which resulted in the killing of top ISWAP leaders.
“Some of the commanders that perished in the airstrikes included Mohammad Fulloja, Ameer Mallam Bello, Ba’a Kaka Tunkushe, Abu Muktar Al-Ansari, Ameer Abba Kaka, Abu Huzaifa, Ameer Modu Kwayem, while Goni Mustapha who was the Chief Imam of the ISWAP, escaped with bullet wounds,” the source said.
Before storming the two towns, the terrorists met at Garin Wanzam, where the new ISWAP commander in charge of training, Moustapah Goniri (Amirul Tadareify), directed militants on gun trucks to launch simultaneous attacks on Damasak and Gajiram in Mobbar and Nganzai local government areas respectively.
It was gathered that the two separate attacks were designed to distract the Air Task Force aggressor with night capability, that would be deployed for air attack.
One of the groups attacked a military ‘Super Camp’, prompting troops to return fire. The second group attacked another position along the Maiduguri road axis, prompting troops to vacate the position, while the third group infiltrated it through the northern axis.
Consequently, before the militants could completely gain access into the town, the Air Task Force was reinforced to engage the terrorists. Two gun trucks with scores of terrorists were destroyed and occupants killed.
The terrorists’ incursion at Gajiram was gallantly repelled by the ground troops.
He added: “right now, bodies of the terrorists are littered all over the place. The insurgents are in total disarray and could not evacuate their dead colleagues.”
Meanwhile, the terrorist group has released a propaganda video of a previous attacks on Damasak where they took away an ambulance, a jeep and killed two young soldiers that had attempted to arrest a Boko Haram informant.
During the attack on April 11, the Nigerian Military shelled and eliminated scores of ISWAP and Boko Haram fighters on five-gun trucks in Damasak. Some of the terrorists were hit close to the perimeter fencing, while others were neutralised while attempting to loot food items in a store belonging to the United Nations (UN).
Meanwhile, the military’s airstrikes and ground artillery bombardments which occurred on April 6, eliminated two top ISWAP leaders including Abu-Rabi and Muhammed Likita, as well as scores of their troops and bodyguards around the axis of Kusuma, Sigir in Ngala and Arijallamari in Abadam Local Government Areas.
Similarly, on April 10, three other terrorists-Commanders including Ameer Umar, Abu Ubaida and Abu Salim were ambushed and killed by Nigerian forces on Saturday night around Wulgo/Logomani axis, close to Cameroon borders, while attempting to attack locals and rustle their cows.
Damaging strikes and artillery bombardment on the ISWAP camps had pushed the surviving terrorists to conduct desperate attacks and looting mission to get food and drugs for their wounded terrorists.
Katsina Govt. to rehabilitate and integrate repentant bandits
The Katsina State Government in conjunction with security operatives in the state, are making plans to rehabilitate and integrate repentant bandits who surrendered their weapons and turn from banditry in the state.
The Commissioner of Police, CP Sanusi Buba disclosed the information, after receiving four repentant bandit leaders in the state.
He said, any suspected bandits that surrender their guns to denounce banditry would be welcomed into the society.
Stating further, he said that the door is wide open to receive potential repent bandits in the state, otherwise the government is prepared to deal with anyone caught involved in any criminal activity.
Buba said, “The security agencies in conjunction with the state government would as soon as possible, embark on the process of re-orientation and rehabilitation of these gentle men that surrendered their weapons.
“This is designed to integrate them into society and make them better citizens.”
While responding to whether there is a specific period for surrender by the bandits, CP Sanusi said, “to surrender is internationally recognized, and anytime during the course of war somebody surrenders, you are not supposed to attack him.
“And it is not something that would have a time frame, if in the course of this campaign somebody feels that he is going to surrender, he is welcomed, but if you don’t and we catch up with you, may your soul rest in peace.”
[BREAKING] Arms fund probe: Finally, Army chief appears before Reps
The Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Ibrahim Attahiru, is currently appearing before the House of Representatives’ Ad Hoc Committee on the Need to Review the Purchase, Use and Control of Arms, Ammunition and Related Hardware by Military, Paramilitary and Other Law Enforcement Agencies.
The committee had no less than two times invited Attahiru and Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Godwin Emefiele, to answer questions on the procurement of arms and ammunition.
On Friday, the committee, after a long wait, postponed the investigative hearing till Monday.
Earlier on March 22, 2021, the committee had, after the failure by the CBN governor and the COAS to appear before it, summoned them to appear before on April 7, 2021.
Ronaldo to miss Juventus, Atalanta clash due to injury
Adeboye, Fayemi meet in Ekiti
Yoruba self-determination rally begins in Ibadan
Iran nuclear talks set to resume in Vienna
YouTube Suspension: TB Joshua’s youtube Channel on shutdown
Fayemi commissions Chukwuma Nwoha road in Owerri
Uzodinma Kinsmen react over attacks on Imo, accuse Politicians of mastermind
No going back on ESN says Kanu as S/E Governors insist on Ebubeag
Anex Azuzu of Nollywood is dead
Ohanaeze Youth Accuses Okorocha, Ibe Of Inciting IPOB Against Organization
FCMB demotes Adam Nuru, appoints Yemisi Edun as acting Managing Director
Uzodinma V. Philip Umeadi
Breaking: Nigerian multi Billionaire Bolu Akin-Olugbade dies of COVID-19
Herdsmen attacks: Seyi Makinde seems to be paralysed by fear, says sports minister
Imo APC Crisis: Uzodinma Finally Cages Out Okorocha
Celebrating The Irrepressible Chioma Ohakim
News1 month ago
Igbo presidency not a solution to Nigeria’s problems – Alex Otti
Entertainment1 month ago
Netflix cracks down on password sharing
Education1 month ago
Recitation of Oodua anthem, compulsory in schools – Akeredolu
Breaking News1 month ago
NAFDAC confirms AstraZeneca Vaccines Safe For Use In Nigeria
Global News1 month ago
Covid Vaccine: Buhari, Osinbajo to take vaccines on Saturday
COVID-191 month ago
Fully-vaccinated people can gather indoors without masks -CDC
News2 months ago
Whatsapp to shutdown accounts rejecting new terms
Breaking News1 month ago
Breaking: Christian soldiers are the ones killing the bandits – Popular Islamic scholar, Sheikh Ahmad Gumi