Press "Enter" to skip to content

Nekede Rector Escapes Lynching As Protesting Students Storm Office, Imposes Xmas Break

Rector Federal Polytechnic Nekede Owerri, Rev. Arimanwa escaped lynching by the angry protesting youths who were not allowed to write exams.

This is as the students who were not allowed in stormed the office of the Rector who upon hearing the plans of the protesters hid from the eyes of the students.

Trouble was averted on Wednesday after students of the Federal Polytechnic Nekede embarked on a wild protest within the school premises. According to sources, the reason for the protest was the directives issued by the school management pertaining to the conduct of the 2019/2020 first semester examination.

According to our sources, the directives included that students who had not paid their school fees are not to be allowed to sit for the examination and that the examination will be computer-based. However, many students who have paid their school fees and obtained registration numbers were not able to write the computer-based exams. Following nonresponse or notification from the management, the students shut down the school’s ICT Centre in protest. The students were said to have taken their grievances to the management on Tuesday, December 8, 2020.

However, in a memo dated December 9, 2020, and signed by the Registrar, Mrs. E. C. Anuna, the management suspended the 2019/2020 first semester examinations on the grounds of the ‘students’ unrest’ which took place on Tuesday, directing that students should vacate the campus for Christmas break latest by 4 pm same day. The management also directed students who are residents in the school’s hostels to vacate immediately and hand over their rooms’ keys and other properties of the school in their possession to the appropriate authority. The memo also said that students will be informed on when they would return to the school to continue with their academic activities advising them to check on the school’s website from time to time.

Unfortunately, the recent development did not go down well with the students. According to them, the management did not consult or hold an emergency meeting with the student body, departmental heads, and other relevant authorities before arriving at its decision. This made the students stage another protest in order to register their displeasure at the suspension of academic activities as the semester examinations were already in progress.

According to eyewitnesses, DSS operatives and the Anti-cult Squad were deployed in order to prevent the protest from becoming violent and also to create a path for the Rector, Rev. M. C. Arimanwa and other officials to leave the school premises.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *