Connect with us

News

I will do everything possible to keep Messi at Barcelona – Laporta

Published

on

Joan Laporta and Victor Font, who are the two candidiates for a presidential election in Barcelona has insisted that Lionel Messi “generates more” than he earns, after his “colossal” club contract was published in a Spanish newspaper.

Joan Laporta, who is seeking to regain the presidency, told Rac1 radio that Messi generates much more income than the money he costs,”

Read Also: The Government has politicised its fight against insecurity – Wike

“We have done a study and he generates a third of Barcelona’s total income.”

Laporta added, “It’s not only the economic return”, “But also the emotional and sporting return, and the vivid moments he gives us.”

Messi is now in the last year of his contract. On Sunday, under the headline “the colossal contract that ruins Barcelona”, El Mundo published details of the current deal, signed in 2017.

It read that Messi would have earned 555 Million euros, which is about 674 million dollars by the time the contract comes to an end.

You May Have Missed: Frank lampard, Chelsea Manager Fired

Barcelona responded by saying, “we are not the source of the leak and we plan to sue El Mundo.

However, the club did not contradict the assertions made by Font and Laporta.

Laporta is one of three candidates for the election on March 7. One of his rivals, Font, spoke on Onda Cero radio.

“To imply that Barcelona is ruined because of Messi is an absolutely erroneous conclusion,” he said.

They condemned the “leak” to the Madrid newspaper and promised they would do all to ensure that Messi remains Barcelona.

“We have to do everything possible to keep Messi, in 2017 and today too,” said Font.

Laporta, the president when Messi first broke into the Barcelona team, agreed.

“I will do everything possible to keep Messi at Barcelona. I have had signals that he is happy in Barcelona, and that he desires to stay.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Eid: Put politics aside, pray for Buhari, Tinubu urges Nigerians

Published

on

All Progressives Congress chieftain, Bola Tinubu, has urged Nigerians to put politics aside and pray for the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.) for strength and wisdom to protect the nation.

He made this call on Wednesday in his Eid-el-Fitr message titled, ‘Let righteous acts, efforts of Ramadan continue to guide our actions’.

Tinubu, who joined Muslims in Nigeria and across the world to mark the completion of this year’s Ramadan fast, stressed that the fasting is a sign of complete devotion to God.

He, therefore, urged Nigerians to remember the lessons of Ramadan.

He said, “We must never condone and tolerate the works and words of those who would do evil or who would pit brother against brother, Nigerian against Nigerian.”

Read Also: FG careful with kidnappers not with #EndSARS protesters, Omokri slams Lai Mohammed

He also urged Nigerians to put politics aside and continue to pray for Buhari and his government.

“Let us put politics aside and continue to pray to Almighty Allah for our country and all its people.

“Let us remember President Muhammadu Buhari and his government in our prayers that they may be given the requisite strength and wisdom to protect the nation, defeat the challenges that confront us and help establish Nigeria as a more prosperous and just land,” he stressed.

Tinubu also emphasised that Nigerians should pray for soldiers and those that are in the frontline against the war on terrorism and coronavirus pandemic.

Continue Reading

News

FG careful with kidnappers not with #EndSARS protesters, Omokri slams Lai Mohammed

Published

on

An ex-aide to former President Goodluck Jonathan, Reno Omokri, has slammed the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, for saying that the Federal Government and its security agencies know the whereabouts of kidnappers and bandits but only being careful.

According to Omokri, the government was not careful with #EndSARS protesters last October when soldiers allegedly opened fire on youths at the Lekki toll gate in Lagos, injuring over 30 protesters and allegedly killing some youths.

It was reported that the minister at a briefing on Tuesday said the government indeed knew the locations of kidnappers, adding that security agencies were only being careful to avoid civilian casualties.

“One of the most difficult things to do, for a democratically-elected government, is to use the instruments of coercion against its own people. For example, while the nation’s military have superior firepower over the rag tag band of Boko Haram and ISWA, the terrorists most often than not operate among the populace, either in our villages or towns, hence the military, in tackling them, is usually careful to avoid collateral damage.

Read Also: Eid: Buhari asks Nigerians to pray against banditry, kidnapping

“The same applies to the kidnappers who abduct our school children. Usually, the location of the kidnappers is not unknown to security forces, but they still have to exercise caution in order not to hurt the same children they are trying to rescue. Despite these inhibitions, the security forces have the wherewithal to decisively tackle the challenges,” Mohammed had said.

Reacting, Omokri, in a string of tweets on Wednesday, wrote, “Lai Mohammed says the Buhari government knows where kidnappers are, but are only being ‘careful’. But why was the Buhari administration not careful during #LekkiMassacre, or when they massacred Nigerian Shiites? Why is their mercy only reserved for kidnappers?

“Lai, why is your government now appealing to bandits and herdsmen? Did you ‘appeal’ to #EndSARS protesters before massacring them, or to the people of Orlu before slaughtering them? The Buhari administration is a useless embarrassment!”

Continue Reading

Leadership

Eid: Buhari asks Nigerians to pray against banditry, kidnapping

Published

on

The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), on Wednesday asked Nigerians to pray against kidnapping, banditry and blackmail.

According to a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, the President made the call in his Eid-il-Fitr message.

The statement was titled ‘On the occasion of Eid, President Buhari calls for unity and solidarity’.

Shehu quoted the President as saying, “On this blessed occasion, I wish that the Eid festival brings with it peace, safety, security, brotherhood and love amongst all.

Read Also: Six things you didn’t know about India COVID-19 variant

“Unity and solidarity among all citizens, Muslims and Christians are imperative especially at a time when our country is faced with multiple challenges which are surmountable only when we come together as one.

“It is important that we remember how we share, through our faiths, common bonds that should serve to unite us and not allow ourselves to succumb to those who seek to divide us, using our two great religions, for their own selfish advantages.

“We should jointly pray against the tragic incidents of kidnapping and banditry and the desperate quest for political power expressed through blackmail against the existence of our country as a united entity.

“We must resist the temptation to retreat into our communities. I urge our political and religious leaders as well as traditional rulers to encourage our citizens to turn towards one another in love and compassion.”

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending