Connect with us

Breaking News

Herdsmen attacks: Seyi Makinde seems to be paralysed by fear, says sports minister

Published

on

Following the various alleged attacks in various parts of the states in Nigeria wherein Oyo state is experiencing the same heat, Mr  Sunday Dare,  Minister of Youth and Sports Development, has advised Seyi Makinde the Governor of Oyo State, to be more proactive and decisive in tackling the security situation in the state.

In a statement on Monday, Dare implied that the governor is too scared to take a decision that would protect the indigenes of his state from attacks.

Read Also: Fulani Herdsmen Ultimatum: Sunday Ighoho responds to his arrest order by Presidency

There had been reports of alleged attacks, that some Fulani were kidnapping, killing, and raping residents in Ibarapa area of the state

Sunday Dare urged the governor to seek assistance from states and non-state actors and stop “responding out of fear that his political status is being damaged”.

Part of the statement termed, ‘Minister wants Makinde to be more decisive on security’, read, “For several months, citizens of Oyo state have watched with increasing concern as the security situation in our beloved state degenerated. Troubling accounts about killings, kidnappings, and herdsmen versus farmers conflicts abound.

Read Also: South West warning over Fulani Treatment by Coalition of Northern Groups

Like all the people of Oyo State, I expected the Governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde to act fast and prudently but with reasonable dispatch to quell the security situation before it got out of hand.

We all waited for proactive steps and responses from the state authority, but certainly in vain.

“Governor Makinde seems to be paralysed by fear regarding this important security situation. This is the first serious test of his leadership in the state.

“Instead of tackling it, he has retreated. His policy has not been proactive enough to resolve the issues so that the protection of lives will be guaranteed and our people spared the mourning over dead ones.

Instead, his policy has been to act as if nothing was happening in forlorn hope that all would simply go away as if it were a bad dream.”

“The worsening developments in the state in the area of security are a direct result of a temporizing fiddling leader.

The Governor has paid more lip service to the issue of security instead of offering solutions or taking proactive steps to stem the attacks and chart the path of resolution.

For this is a complex issue that requires political courage and vision to resolve.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking News

BREAKING: Army renames Operation Lafiya Dole in North-East

Published

on

The Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Ibrahim Attahiru, has approved the renaming of the ongoing counterinsurgency operation in the North-East from Operation Lafiya Dole to Operation Hadin Kai, the Nigerian Army has said.

This was contained in statement on Friday signed by Director Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Mohammed Yerima.

The statement was titled, ‘Nigerian Army Renames Operation In The North East, Seeks Inclusiveness’.

It read, “The Chief of Army Staff Lieutenant General Ibrahim Attahiru has approved the renaming of the ongoing Counterinsurgency Operation in the North East from Operation Lafiya Dole to Operation Hadin Kai.

“This is premised on the fact that the Nigerian Army has made a lot of progress over the years and needs to re-align for better efficiency.

Read Also: Istanbul’ll host Champions League final despite lockdown –UEFA

“Also affected in the re-designation are the Army Super Camps which now reflect the nomenclature of the formations and units followed by the name of the locations they occupy while sub-units are redesigned as Forward Operating Bases followed by the name of their locations. All these changes are with immediate effect.

“The renaming is in line with the COAS Vision of having ‘A Nigerian Army that is Repositioned to Professionally Defeat all Adversaries in a Joint Environment’.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

BREAKING: Five dead as gunmen set ablaze Imo police area command

Published

on

Tension heightened in Imo State, on Monday, as unknown gunmen razed the Okigwe South Police Area Command situated in Orieagu in the Ehime Mbano Local Government Area of Imo State.

A police officer at the headquarters, who spoke to our correspondent in the evening, said that on arrival, the gunmen opened fire on the cops who challenged them.

It was learnt that the invaders freed all the suspects in the cells and carted away arms.

The source said that no fewer than five policemen were shot dead by the attackers as they torch the security facility.

Read Also: UEFA to probe Ibrahimovic’s alleged investment in betting company

The source said, “Our area command headquarters in Okigwe south is on fire. Six policemen shot dead. They also freed the suspects before igniting a fire on the facility.”

When contacted, the police spokesperson in the state, Orlando Ikeokwu, said that five policemen were killed while one was missing during the attack.

He disclosed that the command had launched an investigation into the onslaught.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Uzodinma’s guest house set ablaze

Published

on

Guest House of Imo state Governor, Senator Hope Uzodinma was this morning set ablaze.

Information to the Lead Newspapers revealed that yet to be identified group of men stormed the House of a suspected IPOB member at Awomama in Oru East LGA, the country home of the Governor for possible arrest and allegedly set his House ablaze when they could not see him.

The said group allegedly set ablaze another HOUSE belonging to the younger brother of same suspected IPOB member.

Upon hearing this, group of gun men stormed the scene and when they could not find the said persons responsible for the act, they proceeded to the Governor’s house where they shot sporadically and set ablaze the Governor’s guest house Lead gathered.

Read Also; BREAKING: Gunmen raze another Imo police station

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending