Press "Enter" to skip to content

FUTURE OF IMSU LECTURERS, OTHERS

…Mgt Diverts Pension Funds To Payment Of Salaries

…Deductions From 2016-20 Yet To Be Remitted

The future of the lecturers in Imo State University appears at the moment bleak following five years deductions from the pension funds used in payment of salaries of both lecturers and other staff of the institution which are yet to be remitted.

This is even as the check-up Bills of Academic Staff Union (ASU) Non-Academic Staff Union (NASU), as well as NAs from same 2016 to 2020, are yet to be remitted.

This paper authoritatively gathered that the lecturers who recently got a hint of the deductions had their hopes of pensions dashed after retirement.

Although this paper was unable to gather with certainty what the said deductions were diverted to, since the PRO of the Institution had his phone switched off at the time of filing this report but sources close to the institution hinted Lead that the said deductions were used to augment the free education programme introduced in the state own institution, by the Okorocha’s government.

The former Governor of Imo State, Senator Rochas Okorocha had upon assumption of office in 2011, introduced free education programme in the state own institutions.

Governor Okorocha was said to have agreed to give the Imo State University management 30% while the school was completing the remaining 70% for the free education programme.

This paper however gathered that the said deduction from pension funds since 2016 may probably be part of the 70% which the University Community contributes to actualize the on-going free education in the state.

Speaking with the Lead, one of the lecturers in the school who would not want his name in print appealed with the present administration to wade into the free education programme with the purpose of making it better so as not to interfere with the pension funds.

He regretted the situation where lecturers at the age of retirement would not have access to pension.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *