Connect with us

crimewatch

Four UN troops killed in Mali attack

Published

on

Four United Nations peacekeepers were killed Friday when suspected jihadists staged a major attack on their camp in Aguelhok, northern Mali, the UN mission said.

The peacekeepers “bravely pushed back a complex attack carried out by several heavily armed terrorists,” MINUSMA said, adding the attackers had suffered heavy losses and had abandoned “several of their dead”.

In a statement, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres said he “condemns in the strongest terms” the assault, commending the bravery of those who repelled the attack.

The incident left 19 wounded, the statement said, in addition to the four troops who were killed.

A source in MINUSMA said the attack occurred around 200 kilometres (120 miles) from the Algerian border, targeting a contingent of peacekeepers from Chad.

A UN source described the dawn raid as of “very large magnitude” by about 100 attackers on motorbikes and in vehicles.

“The fighting lasted three hours… mortar shells, shooting exchanges… attempted suicide car bombing,” the source said.

He added that about 20 assailants had been killed.

A Chadian military source said “two of our forces’ positions were attacked. We lost four people, including our forces’ detachment commander, and 16 were injured.”

The UN force’s statement called the attack another “attempt against the peace process” that will “in no way undermine its determination to continue the execution of its mandate”.

Also Read: Argentine president tests positive for Covid-19

It thanked “international forces for their aerial support”.

The attack took to 10 the number of MINUSMA troops killed this year.

– Second attack –
Also on Friday morning, two Malian soldiers were killed and around 10 wounded in an attack blamed on jihadists in Diafarabe in the country’s centre, Mali’s army said in a statement.

Local resident Youssouf Aya told AFP that he had seen a line of armed men on motorcycles headed toward a military post, then heard gunfire.

He said the assailants had “briefly occupied” the military post before leaving along the Niger River.

Mali has been struggling to contain an Islamist insurgency that first broke out in the north in 2012 before spreading to the centre and neighbouring Burkina Faso and Niger.

Thousands have died and hundreds of thousands have fled their homes.

France, the former colonial power, intervened in Mali in 2013 to beat back the jihadists and now has some 5,100 soldiers deployed across the semi-arid Sahel region, though the mission has not been without controversy.

A UN probe published Tuesday concluded that a French air strike in central Mali killed 19 civilians on January 3.

The French defence ministry has denied the account, insisting it had identified and attacked an “armed terrorist group”.

On Friday, France’s military issued a statement on a separate incident, saying a woman died and a child was slightly wounded in a fire linked to an operation in Mali.

It said a suspected jihadist was also killed and two others captured in the operation overnight Wednesday to Thursday in an area southeast of Tessalit in the country’s north.

According to the statement, the soldiers were shot at by the suspected jihadist in a tent and returned fire.

The tent caught fire with the woman and child inside, it said. The child was evacuated to a military hospital.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

crimewatch

Again, gunmen raze Akwa Ibom police station, kill cop

Published

on

Gunmen again on Wednesday set ablaze a divisional police station in the Etim Ekpo Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State and killed one officer.

The officer, one Police Constable, Edogi Bassey, was gunned down by the hoodlums during exchange of fire between policemen and the assailants.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Odiko Macdon, who confirmed the attack in a statement in Uyo, said the hoodlums drove into the station in two vehicles loaded with dangerous weapons including AK-47 rifles.

The statement titled, ‘Police repelled attack at police stations’ read in part “At about 6:30am today, armed men in their numbers, armed with AK 47 rifles and other dangerous weapons, in two vehicles attacked the rented building housing the Etim Ekpo Area Command and Division.

Read Also: I was written off but never gave up – Iheanacho

“The undaunted and vigilant police officers on duty gallantly fought back, repelled them and averted the intended carnage.

“Unfortunately, a dedicated officer, one PC Edogi Bassey, paid the supreme price while a small portion of the building was torched.

“The gunmen who proceeded to Ika Division to perpetrate their nefarious activities were successfully again repelled leaving the station intact without loss of lives or arms.”

The statement added that the worrisome situation is being addressed by the police hierarchy and required the collaboration of all, adding that Commissioner of Police in the state, Andrew Amiengheme, had visited police formations and had called on law abiding citizens to volunteer timely information that will enable the police tackle the present security challenges in the state.

Continue Reading

crimewatch

$153 million, 80 houses recovered from Diezani —EFCC boss

Published

on

The Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Abdulrasheed Bawa, has disclosed that the commission has recovered $153 million from former Petroleum Minister, Diezani Alison-Madueke, who has been living in Britain since leaving office.

He also said the anti-graft agency recovered no fewer than 80 choice property valued at $80m.

This was contained in the April edition of the EFCC magazine, EFCC Alert.

But the EFCC chief was quick to add that bringing the former minister to justice was still far from reality, given the fact that she was out of Nigeria’s jurisdiction, acknowledging the challenges associated with bringing her home to face justice.

The chairman said, “There are several cases surrounding Diezani’s case. I was part of that investigation, and we have done quite a lot. In one of the cases, we recovered $153 million; we have secured the final forfeiture of over 80 properties in Nigeria valued at about $80 million. We have done quite a bit on that.

“The other cases as it relates to the $115 million INEC bribery is also ongoing across the federation. We are looking forward to the time we will, maybe, have her in the country, and, of course, review things and see what will happen going forward. The case has certainly not been abandoned.’’

Read Also: BREAKING: Man City crowned Premier League champions after United loss

But responding to a question as to how he would be dealing with powerful government officials in the discharge of his assignment as EFCC chair, Bawa said he would be ready to leave the job if anyone tried to make him do what was illegal.

“I am not going to pay allegiance to individuals in the government,” he added.

Bawa pointed out that though he was young, he had paid the price on the job, having been among the pioneer staff of EFCC, rising through the ranks to reach the top.

He stated, “I rose through the ranks. The only job I know after graduation is the EFCC, which I joined in 2004. I rose through the ranks from an ordinary team member, to the first EFCC team leader from the regular staff of the EFCC.

“ I became a sectional head, became the zonal head in Ibadan, zonal head in Port Harcourt, and zonal head in Lagos. Lagos is the biggest operational hub of the EFCC with over 600 personnel. Port Harcourt is next to it in terms of complexity and staff strength. I happen to be the first EFCC regular staff to head three different zones before my appointment as the chairman.”

Continue Reading

crimewatch

Gunmen set NDLEA office ablaze in Abia

Published

on

Unidentified gunmen in the early hours of Tuesday attacked the Ohafia office of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, located at Amaekpu, in Ohafia LGAof Abia state, setting the building ablaze.

This is as the office of the Independent National Electoral Commission located in Amaekpu, Ohafia was attacked last Sunday.

Confirming the incident, the State Commander of NDLEA, Bamidele Akingbade, disclosed that the incident happened around 3 am Tuesday, stating that the office was “partially” razed.

Also Read: Genevieve Nnaji to star in Fela’s musical show premiering on Clubhouse

According to him, no suspects were affected as they had earlier been moved out because the location of the office is isolated, adding that no documents were torched as they were inside a fire-prove safe.

Meanwhile, Abia State Government has vowed to arrest the perpetrators.

The state Commissioner for Information, John Kalu, said, “We will get the perpetrators and we will bring them to justice.”

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending