Connect with us

Breaking News

COVID-19 pandemic is ‘not necessarily the big one,’ a more deadly pandemic could sweep the globe – WHO warns

Published

on

The World Health Organization has warned that the coronavirus pandemic is ‘not necessarily the big one’ and that a more deadly virus could yet sweep the globe.

Speaking on Tuesday, Dr. Mike Ryan, head of the WHO emergencies programme said the pandemic was a ‘wake-up call’.

‘This pandemic has been very severe… it has affected every corner of this planet. But this is not necessarily the big one,’ he told a media briefing.

Dr. Ryan added: ‘This [coronavirus] is a wake-up call. We are learning, now, how to do things better: science, logistics, training and governance, how to communicate better. But the planet is fragile.

‘We live in an increasingly complex global society. These threats will continue. If there is one thing we need to take from this pandemic, with all of the tragedy and loss, is we need to get our act together. We need to honour those we’ve lost by getting better at what we do every day.’

Ryan also said that the virus was likely to remain part of our lives despite the introduction of vaccines.

‘The likely scenario is the virus will become another endemic virus that will remain something of a threat, but a very low-level threat in the context of an effective global vaccination programme.’

‘It remains to be seen how well the vaccines are taken up, how close we get to a coverage level that might allow us the opportunity to go for elimination.

‘The existence of a vaccine, even at high efficacy, is no guarantee of eliminating or eradicating an infectious disease. That is a very high bar for us to be able to get over,’ he said. 

Ryan said that was why the vaccine distribution is designed to save lives by protecting the most vulnerable, The Guardian reported.

‘And then we will deal with the moonshot of potentially being able to eliminate or eradicate this virus.’

Professor David Heymann, chair of the WHO’s strategic and technical advisory group for infectious hazards, told the briefing earlier that it was the ‘destiny’ of the virus to become endemic.  

‘The world has hopes for herd immunity, that somehow transmission would be decreased if enough persons were immune’ Heymann said at a media briefing, before explaining that the concept of herd immunity was misunderstood. 

‘It appears the destiny of SARS-CoV-2 [Covid-19] is to become endemic, as have four other human coronaviruses, and that it will continue to mutate as it reproduces in human cells, especially in areas of more intense admission.

‘Fortunately, we have tools to save lives, and these in combination with good public health will permit us to learn to live with Covid-19.’  

Being vaccinated against the virus did not mean an end to social distancing and other public health measures, chief scientist Dr Soumya Swaminathan told the briefing on Tuesday.

‘I don’t believe we have the evidence on any of the vaccines to be confident that it’s going to prevent people from actually getting the infection and therefore being able to pass it on.

‘So I think we need to assume that people who have been vaccinated also need to take the same precautions,’ Swaminathan said, adding that the vaccine is intended to prevent symptomatic disease as well as severe cases of infection and deaths.  

The coronavirus has so far killed 1,799, 337 people worldwide. 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking News

BREAKING: Army renames Operation Lafiya Dole in North-East

Published

on

The Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Ibrahim Attahiru, has approved the renaming of the ongoing counterinsurgency operation in the North-East from Operation Lafiya Dole to Operation Hadin Kai, the Nigerian Army has said.

This was contained in statement on Friday signed by Director Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Mohammed Yerima.

The statement was titled, ‘Nigerian Army Renames Operation In The North East, Seeks Inclusiveness’.

It read, “The Chief of Army Staff Lieutenant General Ibrahim Attahiru has approved the renaming of the ongoing Counterinsurgency Operation in the North East from Operation Lafiya Dole to Operation Hadin Kai.

“This is premised on the fact that the Nigerian Army has made a lot of progress over the years and needs to re-align for better efficiency.

Read Also: Istanbul’ll host Champions League final despite lockdown –UEFA

“Also affected in the re-designation are the Army Super Camps which now reflect the nomenclature of the formations and units followed by the name of the locations they occupy while sub-units are redesigned as Forward Operating Bases followed by the name of their locations. All these changes are with immediate effect.

“The renaming is in line with the COAS Vision of having ‘A Nigerian Army that is Repositioned to Professionally Defeat all Adversaries in a Joint Environment’.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

BREAKING: Five dead as gunmen set ablaze Imo police area command

Published

on

Tension heightened in Imo State, on Monday, as unknown gunmen razed the Okigwe South Police Area Command situated in Orieagu in the Ehime Mbano Local Government Area of Imo State.

A police officer at the headquarters, who spoke to our correspondent in the evening, said that on arrival, the gunmen opened fire on the cops who challenged them.

It was learnt that the invaders freed all the suspects in the cells and carted away arms.

The source said that no fewer than five policemen were shot dead by the attackers as they torch the security facility.

Read Also: UEFA to probe Ibrahimovic’s alleged investment in betting company

The source said, “Our area command headquarters in Okigwe south is on fire. Six policemen shot dead. They also freed the suspects before igniting a fire on the facility.”

When contacted, the police spokesperson in the state, Orlando Ikeokwu, said that five policemen were killed while one was missing during the attack.

He disclosed that the command had launched an investigation into the onslaught.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Uzodinma’s guest house set ablaze

Published

on

Guest House of Imo state Governor, Senator Hope Uzodinma was this morning set ablaze.

Information to the Lead Newspapers revealed that yet to be identified group of men stormed the House of a suspected IPOB member at Awomama in Oru East LGA, the country home of the Governor for possible arrest and allegedly set his House ablaze when they could not see him.

The said group allegedly set ablaze another HOUSE belonging to the younger brother of same suspected IPOB member.

Upon hearing this, group of gun men stormed the scene and when they could not find the said persons responsible for the act, they proceeded to the Governor’s house where they shot sporadically and set ablaze the Governor’s guest house Lead gathered.

Read Also; BREAKING: Gunmen raze another Imo police station

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending