Press "Enter" to skip to content

COLLAPSED OWERRI EIGHT STOREY HOTEL RE-ECHOES IN IMO

… Govt. Finally Evacuates 4Dead Bodies

… 6 Discharged From Hospital, Six Undergoing Treatments

Finally, the Imo State government has evacuated four dead bodies from the collapsed eight storey building at Yaradua’s Drive, in new Owerri which collapsed last month.

In a press release signed by the Governor’s Chief Press Secretary Nwachukwu and made available to weekend Lead, out of the twelve persons rescued from the collapsed building, six were discharged from the hospital, while the remaining six are still undergoing treatments in an undisclosed Hospital.

An eight storey building had last month collapsed at Yaradua’s Drive in Owerri, which claimed lives.

This incidence however attracted various reactions both in Imo and beyond to the extent that Imo State House of Assembly had to set up a committee chaired by Barr. Ezerioha, the Member Representing Oru West to, with immediate effect invite the contractor handling the job, the officials of Owerri Capital Development Authority, the owner of the collapsed property amongst others to ascertain in actuality what led to the said collapsed.

While the committee was yet to submit its report, the immediate former governor of the state, Rt. Hon. Emeka Ihedioha and his predecessor, Senator Rochas Okorocha engaged in media battle where both accused each other of giving approval for the erection of the collapsed building.

Speaking to newsmen, the General Manager of the OCDA, Hon. Innocent Ikpamezie told newsmen on Wednesday that his office has completed the evacuation, which started on Thursday, April 30.

Ikpamezie noted that the prompt response from the government was instrumental to his crew being able to rescue 12 persons. He said six out of them have been discharged from the hospital with all expenses paid by the Government.

However, he regretted that four dead bodies were evacuated from the site of the collapsed building.

While expressing his appreciation to the Governor, Senator Hope Uzodimma for providing them with all the necessary support, the OCDA boss stated that lives were saved as a result of the timely intervention from the government.

Ikpamezie assured that a repeat of such incidence will not occur again in the State, noting that Governor Uzodimma has put machinery in motion to forestall such occurrence in the future.

Speaking on behalf of the six survivors discharged from the hospital, Mr. Odinaka Eliasim thanked the Governor for being a father who hears the cries of his children. He stated that the government made sure they got the best treatment and lacked nothing while in the hospital.

Mr. Eliasim, who hails from Amiri in Oru East Local Government Area solicited the assistance of the government in providing jobs for them. This, he said will help them overcome their present travails.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *