Yesterday, Christians and Muslims clashed violently in Ilorin, Kwara State over the raging Hijab controversy as the state government reopened 10 affected schools for academic activities.
This came as the Christian Association of Nigeria – CAN, asked Nigerians to hold Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq responsible for the violence and bloodletting in the state over his administration’s Hijab policy.
The Baptist Secondary School, Surulere, was the major battle ground where opposing parties besides exchange of harsh words, freely threw pebbles at each other, even as security operatives struggled to disperse the combatants including parents.
Read More: Ogun Rep. Aremu dumps ADC for APC
Some Muslims groups who had laid siege to the main gates of the school were chorusing “Laillah Illaha Lahu, Laillaha Illah lahu”. All efforts by the Muslims groups to allow Muslim students to enter the schools, were turned down by the Christians who were also at the main gate of the affected schools.
As the situation got worse, security operatives deployed to the schools to maintain peace shut into the air and used tear gas to disperse them.
The waiting students and teachers scampered for safety while the schools gates remained shut.
At the Cherubim and Seraphim Grammar School, Sabo Oke, some people in white garments occupied the gate, drummed, sang and disallowed students and teachers from resuming.
They displayed placards with inscriptions such as “O to ge” give us our schools back”, “No to Hijab in Kwara”,” Kwara is not an Islamic State, Kwara is for all”, “Our schools is our heritage”, “we oppose the Hijab in our schools”.
Others at Bishop Smith Grammar School along Agba dam GRA, Ilorin and St Anthony Grammar School, along Offa Road, where the school principal and security officer who supposed to open the gates were nowhere to be found.
The teachers were seen in groups at the school gate while some Christian leaders were also there to monitor the development.
Meanwhile, security agencies including the police, civil defence corps and Soldiers have been deployed to all the affected schools to prevent the break-down of law and order.
The state government had on Tuesday, announced that the schools had been told to reopen but must respect its policy that allows the use of the Hijab in all public schools.
The statement in parts, reads “The Kwara State Government hereby announces the reopening on Wednesday March 17, 2021 of the 10 schools that were recently shut down over the Hijab question, even as government’s peacebuilding efforts continue.
SS2 girl missing in Abuja school after permission to fix uniform
A15-year-old student of the Ceder International College, Abuja, Nimota Olatunde, has gone missing while trying to repair her torn school uniform.
It was gathered that the disappearance of the student had caused panic among her family members and friends.
Olatunde’s mother, Juliana Olajide, who lives in Jos, said on Thursday that her daughter had not been seen since the past one week after she took permission to fix her torn skirt by the school gate.
She said, “It is now eight days since we last saw my 15-year-old daughter, Nimota Olatunde, who is in SS 2 class at Ceder International College, Abuja.
“She was last seen in her school on Wednesday, April 28, 2021.
“According to the school authorities, she went to sew her torn school skirt just by the school gate.
“According to them, she was permitted to go through the primary section gate instead of the main entrance gate because of the way the skirt was torn.
“Since then, no one has seen her. The school tailor also said that my daughter was not seen at the shop that day.
“So, we don’t know what has happened to her.”
The school principal, Olukotun Segun, said the case was already being investigated by the police.
In another development, 13-year-old Treasure Ofunya, who went missing on April 28 while returning from her school, New Era Model School, Jakpa, Effurun, Delta State, has been found.
“I got a call this morning from the Oghara Divisional Police Officer that Treasure was with them.
“I quickly rushed to Oghara, which is near Sapele, and brought her back to Ekpan Police Divisional Headquarters for official documentation,” an elated member of the family, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told our correspondent.
The victim’s elder brother, Merville, also confirmed the development.
The Acting Police Public Relations Officer, Delta State, DSP Bright Edafe, said the victim had been reunited with her family.
FUOYE council found ex-registrar wanting – VC
The Vice-Chancellor, Federal University Oye-Ekiti, Prof. Abayomi Fasina, on Sunday said he had nothing to do with the sacking of the institution’s former registrar, Mr Olatunbosun Odusanya.
He added that Odusanya was sacked by the university’s Governing Council.
Fasina advised Odusanya “to stop misleading the public over events leading to the termination of his appointment by the FUOYE Governing Council headed by Dr Mohammad Yahuza.”
Recall that the registrar was suspended from office on April 20, 2021, to pave the way for investigations into allegations of misconduct levelled against.
Odusanya, in his reaction to the sacking, had accused the VC of being behind his predicament.
But the VC, in a statement by his Special Adviser on Media Matters, Wole Balogun, titled, ‘I am not responsible for your misfortune, VC replies sacked Registrar’, said, “What happened to Odusanya leading to the termination of his appointment was simply a clear case of gross misconduct that bothered on his flagrant violation of the rules and regulations of the university regarding recruitment of staff.
“The authority that found him wanting is the Governing Council of the university ably chaired by Dr Yahuza. The governing council is above me as the highest authority of the university. It was the council that constituted the probe panel that investigated Odusanya’s misconduct.”
He added, “Attributing the consequences of his inactions to vendetta against him from me clearly amounts to character assassination and defamation on his part against my person. I advise him to desist from such unnecessary and fruitless voyage.”
CONUA demands refund, says members’ dues paid to ASUU
The leadership of the Congress of University Academics has alleged that check off dues deducted from its members’ salaries were remitted to the Academic Staff Union of Universities.
A statement by the CONUA National Coordinator, Dr Niyi Sunmonu, on Sunday said members of the group complained that dues deducted from their salaries were remitted to ASUU, a union they did not belong to.
Sunmonu urged the Accountant General of the Federation to ensure the refund of what had been deducted from CONUA members, saying it was against the tenets of the law to deduct check off dues of CONUA members for ASUU.
He said CONUA had also requested a stoppage of the remittance of CONUA members’ check off dues to ASUU, and expressed hope that the matter would be urgently addressed.
The statement read in parts, “The leadership of ASUU through its president unilaterally withdrew money running into millions of naira in 2017 from the account of the OAU branch. This illegal act necessitated the request to stop check off dues deduction.
“I urge the Accountant General of the Federation to ensure the refund of what had been deducted from CONUA members. It is inappropriate and against the tenets of the law to deduct check off dues of CONUA members for a union they do not belong to
“CONUA is an independent academic staff union in Nigerian universities. Hence, remitting CONUA members’ dues to another union is tantamount to an attempt to financially strangulate it.”
Again, gunmen raze Akwa Ibom police station, kill cop
I was written off but never gave up – Iheanacho
Eid: Put politics aside, pray for Buhari, Tinubu urges Nigerians
FG careful with kidnappers not with #EndSARS protesters, Omokri slams Lai Mohammed
Eid: Buhari asks Nigerians to pray against banditry, kidnapping
Six things you didn’t know about India COVID-19 variant
Osun mosque shut, sallah prayers banned as imams battle for seat
Southern senators back govs on restructuring, open grazing
Anex Azuzu of Nollywood is dead
Uzodinma V. Philip Umeadi
FCMB demotes Adam Nuru, appoints Yemisi Edun as acting Managing Director
Breaking: Nigerian multi Billionaire Bolu Akin-Olugbade dies of COVID-19
Umeadi Vs Uzodinma: Imo PDP Develops Cold Feet Over Delay In Supreme Court
Ohanaeze Youth Accuses Okorocha, Ibe Of Inciting IPOB Against Organization
Celebrating The Irrepressible Chioma Ohakim
Herdsmen attacks: Seyi Makinde seems to be paralysed by fear, says sports minister
News2 months ago
Presidency kicks as Onnoghen links Buhari, Atiku electoral contest to removal as CJN
Health2 months ago
COVID-19: NCDC confirms 135 new infections
News2 months ago
Akintoye rebukes Akeredolu for rejecting Yoruba nation
Global News2 months ago
Indonesia cathedral bombing an ‘act of terror,’ says president
News2 months ago
Tinubu ignored Lagos, Oyo market victims but donated N50m to Katsina —Omokri
COVID-192 months ago
Ofcom fines Pastor Chris channel N65.6m over COVID-19 sermon
News2 months ago
Calls for secession, not solution to the Nigeria’s predicament – Fayemi
News2 months ago
NIN: Court bars FG from blocking SIM cards