Following the clamour to replace the Service chiefs that had been appointed by the president since 2015, The President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.) has responded by accepting the resignation of the service chiefs.
This was disclosed in a statement titled, ‘President Buhari appoints new service chiefs, read by the Special adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina.
It read, “President Muhammadu Buhari has accepted the immediate resignation of the Service Chiefs, and their retirement from service“.
Those involved are:
- Chief of Defence – Staff, General Abayomi Olonisakin
- Chief of Army Staff – Lt-Gen. Tukur Buratai
- Chief of Naval Staff – Vice Admiral Ibok Ekwe Ibas
- Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar.
The new Service chiefs are:
- Major-General Leo Irabor – Chief of Defence Staff
- Major-General I. Attahiru – Chief of Army Staff
- Rear Admiral A.Z Gambo – Chief of Naval Staff
- Air-Vice Marshal I.O Amao – Chief of Air Staff.
“President Buhari thanks the outgoing Service Chiefs for what he calls their ‘overwhelming achievements in our efforts at bringing enduring peace to our dear country,’ wishing them well in their future endeavours
“The President congratulates the new Service Chiefs, and urges them to be loyal and dedicated in the discharge of their responsibilities.”