Connect with us

News

APC: Visit to Jonathan, not for Presidency 2023

Published

on

The All Progressives Congress, APC, has denied the widespread rumour about forwarding the former President, President Goodluck Jonathan as its candidate in the 2023 Presidential election.

This arose last week, when rumours spread that some Northern governors were working hard to ensure that the former president gets the APC Presidential ticket.

Read More: My aspiration to run for Presidency – Bakare

The party clarified that such story does not exist, but just an act of some lazy rumour mongers who go about creating news.

This was further proven, when the Governor of Yobe State, Mai Mala Buni who is the interim committee chairman of the APC, told the BBC Hausa service that there was nothing like courtship in the matter, as politics is all about actual talking.

“Those peddling such information, they are afraid. But for now, there is nothing in the APC which has anything to do with the aspiration for 2023.”

Read More: My aspiration to run for Presidency – Bakare

“Even if someone wants to base assumption on our recent visit to him on his birthday, we were there because of his capacity as a former President of Nigeria.”

 “Again, even if there is nothing, when we are talking of peaceful coexistence, we must give credit to former President Jonathan on the issue of peace. How he conceded defeat in 2015 and resigned honourably”.

That singular act, has qualified him to be a statesman and now among our fathers.”

Read Also: Soldiers return to Orlu, demand corpse of dead colleagues

Governor Buni also added that, it is customary to visit one another and exchange pleasantries.

“Our visit to Jonathan was pronounced because of his status as a former president that could be why some may think there was something beneath.”

‘There are numerous of such visits, to leaders of PDP, APC, why are others not being mentioned but Jonathan?”

When asked if the APC would accept Jonathan, if he eventually decides to run for presidency in the coming election in 2023, Buni said that would be a new discussion, entirely.

“Even in America where we got this democracy, I’ve not seen where people are being confined to a limit.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

crimewatch

Three construction workers kidnapped in Ondo

Published

on

Nigerian Police

Three construction workers have been kidnapped along Ikaramu-Akunnu Akoko in Akoko North West Local Government Area of Ondo State on Tuesday evening by some unknown gunmen.

The workers whose name has not yet been revealed were working at the ongoing rehabilitation of Ikaramu-Akunnu road when the hoodlums struck.

When contacted, the Public Relations Officer of the state police command, Mr Tee-Leo Ikoro, confirmed the incident, saying an investigation had commenced into it.

READ MORE:

“Our men are already in the area to rescue the victims,” the PPRO stated.

The traditional ruler of Ikaram, Oba Andrew Momodu, in a reaction, confirmed that the workers were kidnapped after they closed for the day’s job.

According to him, the hoodlums struck when the expatriate contractor handling the project had just left with his policemen.

The monarch appealed for more security men to comb the forest for a rescue operation.

Similarly, the Alauga of Auga Akoko, Oba Samuel Agunloye, added, “The incessant kidnapping and other criminal acts are now worrisome in the area.”

It was gathered that the Divisional Police Officer in charge of Okeagbe Akoko, Mr Ade Akinwande, has led other officers to search the forest in a bid to rescue and release the victims.

Continue Reading

Business

Airtel signs $500m loan with Bank of America, others

Published

on

Airtel signs $500m loan with Bank of America, others

Airtel Africa has announced the signing of a new $500m loan facility with a group of relationship banks to partially refinance the group’s €750m Euro-denominated bond (c.$880m) due May 20, 2021.

In a statement signed on Wednesday, by its Group Company Secretary, Simon O’Hara, the banks that participated in the facility include, Bank of America, BNP Paribas, Citibank, HSBC, J.P. Morgan, Standard Chartered Bank, and two Indian relationship banks, Axis Bank and Kotak Mahindra Bank.

O’Hara said the new committed facility consisted of a combination of a revolving credit facility and term loans with tenor of up to four years.

READ MORE:

He stated that the balance of the Euro-denominated bond would be repaid with existing group cash to reduce gross debt and associated interest costs.

“The new loan facility further strengthens the core liquidity of the group,” the group said in the statement.

The telecommunication company also said it had prepayment flexibilities that would allow the group to optimize the efficiency of its capital structure with the free cash flows and cash receipts anticipated over the next 12 months, following the recent announcements related to tower sales and mobile money minority investments.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Reigning Mrs. World, Caroline Jurie resigns, runner up takes over

Published

on

Reigning Mrs. World resigns, runner up takes over

The reigning Mrs World, Caroline Jurie, has resigned her title, the organization running the pageant, said late on Tuesday, weeks after she was involved in a controversy at the Mrs Sri Lanka event.

I stand proud today, knowing that I stood up for what is right. I believe the Mrs World Crown stands for a purpose,” Jurie wrote in a statement shared on her Instagram page.

She continued: “I know Mrs World Inc. does not condone malpractices. Therefore, wearing the Mrs World crown and holding the title on unfair grounds go against the purpose of ensuring a fair and equal stage for every woman.”

” Hence, I am stepping down from the title of Mrs World 2020 and I am handing over my Mrs World 2020 Crown. I hereby terminate the Mrs World 2020 contract I entered into on November 4, 2019, with Mrs World Inc.”

READ MORE:

Jurie was arrested and released on bail this month after a fracas at the Mrs Sri Lanka pageant in Colombo, where Jurie forcibly removed the winner’s crown, claiming the other woman was a divorcee and not qualified to win the title.

“Her voluntary resignation decision was made solely by Caroline herself,” Mrs World Inc said late on Tuesday, in a news release on social media.

Jurie was not immediately reachable for comment.

Kate Schneider of Ireland, the runner-up in the 2020 contest which Jurie won, will be the new Mrs World 2020, the organization said.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending