Connect with us

crimewatch

Andrew Brown Jr: Another Black man killed in North Carolina

Published

on

Andrew Brown Jr Another Black man killed at North Carolina.

Another black man, identified as Andrew Brown Jr, has been fatally shot dead in his car in North Carolina on Wednesday morning at about 8:40 a.m. State officials have opened an investigation into the shooting, by local sheriff’s deputies serving him with a search warrant.

The shooting happened on Wednesday morning in Elizabeth City, a riverfront town of about 18,000 residents in Pasquotank County near North Carolina’s coastal border with Virginia, and small groups of protesters took to the streets by evening.

The county sheriff’s office and the State Bureau of Investigation (SBI), which said it had taken over the case, each provided few details of the fatal encounter.

Relatives described him to the Raleigh News & Observer and other media outlets as a 40-year-old father and an African American.

READ MORE:

Law enforcement officials did not say whether Brown was armed at the time or whether he was considered a threat to the officers. The nature of the warrant was not disclosed.

The shooting came the day after a jury found Derek Chauvin, a white former Minneapolis police officer, guilty of murdering George Floyd last year by kneeling on his neck while he was handcuffed and under arrest.

Relatives of Brown told the media, that he was near his home and in an automobile at the time of the shooting.

All the deputies at the scene wore police body cameras, and the deputy who fired the gun was placed on administrative leave, Pasquotank County Sheriff Tommy Wooten told a news conference on Wednesday.

Wooten was accompanied by the local district attorney, R. Andrew Womble, who said he was looking for “accurate answers, not fast answers.”

As news of the shooting spread, local media showed scores of people gathering outside the town hall as the City Council held an emergency meeting on Wednesday night to discuss the case and a possible curfew. African Americans account for about half the town’s population.

No curfew was immediately issued, but that authority was given to Police Chief Eddie Buffaloe Jr., who told the council his goal was “to keep the peace.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

crimewatch

Again, gunmen raze Akwa Ibom police station, kill cop

Published

on

Gunmen again on Wednesday set ablaze a divisional police station in the Etim Ekpo Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State and killed one officer.

The officer, one Police Constable, Edogi Bassey, was gunned down by the hoodlums during exchange of fire between policemen and the assailants.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Odiko Macdon, who confirmed the attack in a statement in Uyo, said the hoodlums drove into the station in two vehicles loaded with dangerous weapons including AK-47 rifles.

The statement titled, ‘Police repelled attack at police stations’ read in part “At about 6:30am today, armed men in their numbers, armed with AK 47 rifles and other dangerous weapons, in two vehicles attacked the rented building housing the Etim Ekpo Area Command and Division.

Read Also: I was written off but never gave up – Iheanacho

“The undaunted and vigilant police officers on duty gallantly fought back, repelled them and averted the intended carnage.

“Unfortunately, a dedicated officer, one PC Edogi Bassey, paid the supreme price while a small portion of the building was torched.

“The gunmen who proceeded to Ika Division to perpetrate their nefarious activities were successfully again repelled leaving the station intact without loss of lives or arms.”

The statement added that the worrisome situation is being addressed by the police hierarchy and required the collaboration of all, adding that Commissioner of Police in the state, Andrew Amiengheme, had visited police formations and had called on law abiding citizens to volunteer timely information that will enable the police tackle the present security challenges in the state.

Continue Reading

crimewatch

$153 million, 80 houses recovered from Diezani —EFCC boss

Published

on

The Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Abdulrasheed Bawa, has disclosed that the commission has recovered $153 million from former Petroleum Minister, Diezani Alison-Madueke, who has been living in Britain since leaving office.

He also said the anti-graft agency recovered no fewer than 80 choice property valued at $80m.

This was contained in the April edition of the EFCC magazine, EFCC Alert.

But the EFCC chief was quick to add that bringing the former minister to justice was still far from reality, given the fact that she was out of Nigeria’s jurisdiction, acknowledging the challenges associated with bringing her home to face justice.

The chairman said, “There are several cases surrounding Diezani’s case. I was part of that investigation, and we have done quite a lot. In one of the cases, we recovered $153 million; we have secured the final forfeiture of over 80 properties in Nigeria valued at about $80 million. We have done quite a bit on that.

“The other cases as it relates to the $115 million INEC bribery is also ongoing across the federation. We are looking forward to the time we will, maybe, have her in the country, and, of course, review things and see what will happen going forward. The case has certainly not been abandoned.’’

Read Also: BREAKING: Man City crowned Premier League champions after United loss

But responding to a question as to how he would be dealing with powerful government officials in the discharge of his assignment as EFCC chair, Bawa said he would be ready to leave the job if anyone tried to make him do what was illegal.

“I am not going to pay allegiance to individuals in the government,” he added.

Bawa pointed out that though he was young, he had paid the price on the job, having been among the pioneer staff of EFCC, rising through the ranks to reach the top.

He stated, “I rose through the ranks. The only job I know after graduation is the EFCC, which I joined in 2004. I rose through the ranks from an ordinary team member, to the first EFCC team leader from the regular staff of the EFCC.

“ I became a sectional head, became the zonal head in Ibadan, zonal head in Port Harcourt, and zonal head in Lagos. Lagos is the biggest operational hub of the EFCC with over 600 personnel. Port Harcourt is next to it in terms of complexity and staff strength. I happen to be the first EFCC regular staff to head three different zones before my appointment as the chairman.”

Continue Reading

crimewatch

Gunmen set NDLEA office ablaze in Abia

Published

on

Unidentified gunmen in the early hours of Tuesday attacked the Ohafia office of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, located at Amaekpu, in Ohafia LGAof Abia state, setting the building ablaze.

This is as the office of the Independent National Electoral Commission located in Amaekpu, Ohafia was attacked last Sunday.

Confirming the incident, the State Commander of NDLEA, Bamidele Akingbade, disclosed that the incident happened around 3 am Tuesday, stating that the office was “partially” razed.

Also Read: Genevieve Nnaji to star in Fela’s musical show premiering on Clubhouse

According to him, no suspects were affected as they had earlier been moved out because the location of the office is isolated, adding that no documents were torched as they were inside a fire-prove safe.

Meanwhile, Abia State Government has vowed to arrest the perpetrators.

The state Commissioner for Information, John Kalu, said, “We will get the perpetrators and we will bring them to justice.”

Continue Reading

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending